Problem with Downloadable Executable on the Mac

Bill Longabaugh

Oct 24, 2012, 4:07:30 PM10/24/12
to biotapes...@googlegroups.com
It turns out there is a shortcoming with the new downloadable, standalone executable for the Mac.  Specifically, you can only run ONE copy of BioTapestry at a time.  On Windows, you can double-click the icon and run as many separate copies of BioTapestry as you wish.  Linux also supports this behavior.  But for the Mac, double-clicking the icon after you have BioTapestry running just brings forward the one running instance you already have.  Given standard Mac application behavior, this is actually not surprising.   As a workaround, Mac users can use the still-supported Java WebStart option to launch as many simultaneous instances of BioTapestry as desired.  We are currently looking into ways to solve this problem.

Sorry for any inconvenience,

Bill

Bill Longabaugh

Nov 12, 2012, 8:27:03 PM11/12/12
to biotapes...@googlegroups.com
Another workaround, instead of using Java WebStart, is to use the "open" command with the -n flag.  Bring up the Terminal program (via the Finder; go to Application::Utilities).  Select Shell->New Window->Basic, and a terminal window will pop up. Assuming the BioTapestry Editor icon is on your desktop, type:

cd Desktop

into the terminal.  Then type:

open -n 'BioTapestry Editor.app'

hit return, and wait.  Do this as many times as you want.  Each time will bring up a separate instance of the BioTapestry Editor program.

Sorry for the hackish workaround.  We're still looking into the long-term alternatives.

Bill