latest version runs out of memory using a fairly small network

Paul Rigor

Jan 19, 2011, 8:46:41 PM1/19/11
to biotapes...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I was wondering about the size limitations of a network that can be displayed? I've attached a sample network and the viewer keeps complaining about having to close the program every time I attempt to export the network as an image.

Is there a spec sheet that describes the amount of memory required depending on the network size and/or topology?

Anyone else running into this problem?

Thanks,
Paul
test.btp.zip

William Longabaugh

Jan 19, 2011, 9:00:26 PM1/19/11
to biotapes...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul:

Are you attempting to use "Export Image for Publication"? The
underlying Java libraries that BioTapestry uses tend to be
very memory-intensive, and so, for example, making large 600 dpi
images of any size network can exhaust the available memory.

There should be a dialog that pops up a warning that this might
happen. Are you getting that dialog? If so, you can still
try to export the image anyway (after saving your work) to
see what happens; it will still often work. Or are you
getting the actual "out of memory" dialog?

If it is really out of memory, try to limit the size to
8.5 x 11 in. if you are at 600 dpi, or try 300 dpi.

There is no published limit to the network size. Since this
image-generation memory issue is related not to the actual
size of the network but to the number of pixels
(height x width x dpi) that is what you should try to make
a smaller, low resolution image.

Please let me know how this works out...

-- Bill

Bill Longabaugh

Jan 19, 2011, 9:10:36 PM1/19/11
to BioTapestry-users
I tested your network on the standard webstart version, doing
both the root network and the child network. Both were successful
at 600 dpi to about 8.5 x 11 inches without "out of memory". However,
there were the usual warnings that the images were large
(e.g. 32 MB) and to save first before trying.

Note that the standard webstart version is limited to use 512M
maximum memory, which is usually enough for most cases, though
workarounds do exist if needed.

-- Bill

On Jan 19, 6:00 pm, William Longabaugh