help us test bittorrent data sharing via Biostars

Istvan Albert

Jul 14, 2014, 6:44:16 PM7/14/14
to biostar...@googlegroups.com

Hello Folks,

we are adding bittorrent data sharing to Biostars.  Help us identify bugs and issues by creating a few torrents and adding them to posts. Also feel free to comment etc.

The description on how it works is at:

An example post with data can be seen at:

 (btw: the test site will not log you into your old account since the emails are protected so ignore that issue)

best,

Istvan

--
Istvan Albert
Associate Professor, Bioinformatics

Chris Evelo

Aug 30, 2014, 9:13:35 AM8/30/14
to biostar...@googlegroups.com, iu...@psu.edu
That first link gave a 404 error

Istvan Albert

Sep 15, 2014, 11:04:42 AM9/15/14
to biostar...@googlegroups.com
Whoops, forgot to answer this. The test site now offline as we change how it operates.

As it turns out bittorrent clients are not always obeying the "recommendation" in the protocol on who frequently to connect - thus can overwhelm the site with constant checkins. Every tracker checks every file at regular intervals  we advise 1 hour checks but they seem to do it much more frequently and it really adds up. It seems that when a file goes offline the trackers check very frequently to see if it has been restored.

I am now thinking of deploying a C based torrent tracker that is parsed by Biostar rather then Biostar being the main tracker.