Bringing back local login [for BioStar fork]

Paweł Szczęsny

Sep 18, 2013, 4:39:11 AM9/18/13
to biostar...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

How can I easily bring back local login? Uncommenting login form in login.html file didn't do the trick, as the "/local/login/" method is missing.

Best wishes
PS

Istvan Albert

Sep 18, 2013, 8:35:35 AM9/18/13
to biostar...@googlegroups.com
Django supports the creation of local login pages out of the box and that will work with Biostar as well:

look at this page:

https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.4/topics/auth/

all you really need to do is :

(r'^accounts/login/, 'django.contrib.auth.views.login'),

and that would add the local login.

Istvan Albert
Associate Professor, Bioinformatics
Pennsylvania State University
http://www.personal.psu.edu/iua1/

Paweł Szczęsny

Sep 18, 2013, 8:38:35 AM9/18/13

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 2:35 PM, Istvan Albert <iu...@psu.edu> wrote:
(r'^accounts/login/, 'django.contrib.auth.views.login'),

Ah, that simple? I thought modifications of Django codebase went much farther and it not available for security reasons anymore.

Thank you!
PS

Istvan Albert

Sep 18, 2013, 9:44:36 AM9/18/13
to biostar...@googlegroups.com
it is more complicated after all ,

as now you need password recovery/reset service, and for that you need to set up the email backend and you need to exchange a token to verify that the user with the email is actually resetting their password,

all of that is directly supported by Django (at least it was fully supported in version 1.4), it does take some digging through the docs.

They may have deprecated that by 1.6 but the site may not work properly with the newest Django versions without some changes anyhow.

best,

Istvan