Queries/ feedbacks for a possible Bioinformatics study group

Olivier

Jul 30, 2013, 2:51:46 PM7/30/13
to biostar...@googlegroups.com

Hello all

Few weeks from now, I came up with the idea of a "bioinformatics study group", with the intention of reproducing methods from published papers and making the methods viewable to other bioinformatics beginners/ enthusiasts, like me. The choice of the biostars platform was mainly due to the presence of various knowledgeable people in the field.

The idea would be that as a group, we'd work over papers and that the questions/ methods that would be viewable by anyone there, for learning and commenting.

Well, till now we are 3 people to have contributed for parts of methods for a selected paper, and I can say I'm learning a lot faster about multiple ways of doing things I'd never had thought of... some methods are so much simpler than others... I realize that sharing of methods and ideas is a really great way of improving each other's understanding and speeding up the learning process.
I'm laying down what many felt was needed to improve our working as a group:

*Some said it would be a good idea to have a sort of organization system to better manage work of multiple people.

*I was thinking about a sort of tag we could use to refer posted questions that come from our group?

I'm sure it would help others who just want to have a peek and know how the questions arose, compared to questions asked without knowing the circumstances that led to the questions themselves.

Well, it's just a few ideas. If you have any idea(s), I'd be happy to give a try, even if we're less than a handful of people, or it just comes to myself at some point. I was thinking something in the line of using code repositories like git. Some mentioned google groups, but I'm not familiar with these 2 options, yet. Is there any existing way of implementing any/ all of these ideas on the biostars platform?

Well, I admit it's not much, but this is how it looks: http://www.biostars.org/p/75567/

Regards,

Olivier

Istvan Albert

Aug 2, 2013, 9:51:08 AM8/2/13
to biostar...@googlegroups.com
Hello Olivier,

interesting questions but I would have to think about them a lot more
to have suggestions towards solutions with direct applications.

Cooperative learning is a complex process, one that is intimately
shaped at the individual level - although there may be general needs
that would be equally useful.

I am open to suggestions of practical nature: for example to have a
section that collects these posts or any other related functionality.

I would however suggest to test these out in practice first, many
ideas that sound great on paper don't seem to take off later in
practice.

best,

Istvan
> --

Istvan Albert
Associate Professor, Bioinformatics
Pennsylvania State University
http://www.personal.psu.edu/iua1/

Olivier

Aug 3, 2013, 6:42:44 AM8/3/13
to biostar...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your thoughtful comments Dr Istvan.
You are right. People seem to be only viewing and up/down-voting the forum post and interaction seems to be mostly one way.
I'll think it over then.

Regards
Olivier