Less.js and Internet Explorer 8

Ivan Uemlianin

Feb 23, 2015, 4:27:52 AM2/23/15
to biostar...@googlegroups.com
Dear All

First, many apologies for bringing up such a dreary topic.

I'm building a web site for a client based on biostars.  Many of the client's staff use IE8 on Windows 7 (not by choice).  Unsurprisingly, much of the styling and javascript does not behave as expected under IE8.

Some changes required are simple, e.g. use JQuery 1.9.x instead of 2.x.

My current obstacle is Less.js, which I'll probably have to remove completely.  Is Less compiling css dynamically, or would it be possible to compile all the necessary css on the server and not include Less.js in the web pages?

With thanks and best wishes

Ivan

Ivan Uemlianin

Feb 23, 2015, 8:31:19 AM2/23/15
to biostar...@googlegroups.com
Dear All

Quick update since this morning:

- I've switched django-compressor on, so I'm compiling the css on the server and not including less.js in the web page.

- ie8 essentially renders the mobile view, but without the elements that had variable styling depending on media (eg the -sm- -md- etc tags).  Haven't been able to get respond and html2shiv making an effect.

Best wishes

Ivan

Ivan A. Uemlianin PhD
Llaisdy

                    iv...@llaisdy.com
                        @llaisdy
                         llaisdy.wordpress.com
              github.com/llaisdy
                     www.linkedin.com/in/ivanuemlianin

                        festina lente

Istvan Albert

Feb 23, 2015, 8:32:23 AM2/23/15
to biostar...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ivan,

Typically on a deployed site the LESS file is compiled automatically into CSS and less.js is not used at all. This takes place via django-compressor

If you install node js for windows and set up the paths correctly it should work seamlessly as soon as you turn the DEBUG flag off (or you can set to always compress as well, it is a setting for django-compressor).

Alternatively you can manually compile all the less files into css before you even start the server, or alternatively look at the current biostar html source and get the compiled css from there and include that as the css file directly:

While we are at it, let me mention that we are developing a new release of Biostars, beta  to be launched fairly soon (one or two weeks) that has a substantially simplified styling and deployment, see this:

and the new branch at:

Istvan Albert
Associate Professor, Bioinformatics
Pennsylvania State University
http://www.personal.psu.edu/iua1/

Ivan Uemlianin

Feb 23, 2015, 8:53:42 AM2/23/15
to biostar...@googlegroups.com
Dear Istvan

Thanks for your email.

Thankfully the server is not a Windows machine! :D I'm developing on Mac and FreeBSD machines and running on Ubuntu (might later change that to FreeBSD).

Biostar 3.0 looks v interesting!  The organisation looks quite different.

Unless you advise otherwise I'll continue hacking away with master for now.

I think I have deployment sorted for now, at least for light/medium load: nginx & uwsgi in front, and postgresql as the db.

Best wishes

Ivan
Ivan A. Uemlianin PhD
Llaisdy

Istvan Albert

Feb 23, 2015, 9:06:37 AM2/23/15
to biostar...@googlegroups.com
yes no problem - there will be a seamless upgrade from Biostar 2.0

Ivan Uemlianin

Feb 25, 2015, 5:55:00 AM2/25/15
to biostar...@googlegroups.com
Dear All

Just to say that I've got the responsive rendering working in IE8.

I can share the changes (to starbase.html) if interest but briefly, as well as including the helpers, e.g.:

    <!--[if lt IE 9]>
        <script src="https://oss.maxcdn.com/html5shiv/3.7.2/html5shiv.min.js"></script>
        <script src="https://oss.maxcdn.com/respond/1.4.2/respond.min.js"></script>
    <![endif]-->

You have to make sure all css files are served from relative paths (ie no CDNs etc allowed).  This is because Respond.js re-requests and re-applies all the styling.

Thanks

Ivan