Sending email from biostar

Ivan Uemlianin

Mar 2, 2015, 4:44:54 AM3/2/15
to biostar...@googlegroups.com
Dear All

Am I right in thinking that biostar sends emails to users when their questions receive answers?

If so this doesn't seem to work out of the box.  I've set up postfix, and tested that I can send emails form the django shell.

I can't actually find anywhere in the code that uses django's send_mail (apart form tests and biostar/server/management/commands/digest.py) or the EmailMessage class.

Does biostar send out emails directly when a question is answered?  If so, how?

Please advise

With thanks and best wishes

Ivan

Istvan Albert

Mar 2, 2015, 7:05:10 AM3/2/15
to biostar...@googlegroups.com
I would recommend to open  GitHub issues for problems with the code - the group is not for development discussions.

As a yes Biostar does send out emails depending on a default messaging preference of users.

The easiest way to troubleshoot emails is to first set them to console backend:

that way you can see the emails as they are generated. By default Biostar also writes to the console backend and when you import the default data you can see the emails printed there. After that is emails do not arrive it is a settings with the email provider.

best,

Istvan

Istvan Albert
Associate Professor, Bioinformatics
Pennsylvania State University
http://www.personal.psu.edu/iua1/

Ivan Uemlianin

Mar 2, 2015, 7:09:18 AM3/2/15
to biostar...@googlegroups.com
Thanks (and will use github in future:)

Ivan
Ivan A. Uemlianin PhD
Llaisdy

                    iv...@llaisdy.com
                        @llaisdy
                         llaisdy.wordpress.com
              github.com/llaisdy
                     www.linkedin.com/in/ivanuemlianin

                        festina lente

Ivan Uemlianin

Mar 2, 2015, 9:00:18 AM3/2/15
to biostar...@googlegroups.com
Just for closure: you're right it was the user settings.  All working now.

Thanks

Ivan

On 02/03/2015 12:04, Istvan Albert wrote:
Ivan A. Uemlianin PhD
Llaisdy