Installation and perl dependencies

Radhouane ANIBA

Apr 1, 2014, 4:21:58 PM4/1/14
to biop...@googlegroups.com
Hello there !

I would like to install biopieces but the configure shell script (installation) figured out I had Inline perl module missing. Tried to install it but indeed I have not the root privileges to do it. Any suggestion on a workaround ?

Thanks

Rad

Martin Asser Hansen

Apr 1, 2014, 4:25:49 PM4/1/14
to biop...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rad,

There are ways to augment the systems Perl with local modules. Here are some hints:

Alternatively, you can download, compile and install your own version of Perl locally - and then any build modules against that Perl installation.

Cheers,

Martin

Radhouane ANIBA

Apr 1, 2014, 4:40:03 PM4/1/14
to biop...@googlegroups.com, ma...@maasha.dk
Thanks Martin,

I didn't want to do that but I think I am going to grab my local version of perl !

Is it ok If I include biopieces in the list of utilities at CodersCrowd ? I am running a bioinformatics sandbox over there ( http://blog.coderscrowd.com/runnable-gists/) and it would be great if I can share runnable codes that call biopieces

Thanks

Rad

Radhouane ANIBA

Apr 1, 2014, 5:22:29 PM4/1/14
to biop...@googlegroups.com, ma...@maasha.dk
Suggestion :

I had to install Circos lately and their procedure for the installation is very intuitive, they have a utility that does the check prior to installation and see what kind of dependency is there or not.

It would be great to see that in the installation shell script, rather than "breaking" each time a dependency is not found, why not just carry on, check the next and then report all missing libraries at the same time, it is better than running the installation script each time and figure out we miss a thing

Thanks

Rad

Martin Asser Hansen

Apr 2, 2014, 3:43:46 AM4/2/14
to biop...@googlegroups.com
You are welcome to use Biopieces for anything within the scope of the License (GPL2).

I have been made aware by the issue of the installer before. The reason why nothing has been done about it, is that I loathe writing Bash :o/ - and what you are asking requires an array of error messages to be collected and displayed. Feel free to contribute.

Cheers

Martin