Re: Installing biopieces as a non root

Martin Asser Hansen

Mar 20, 2014, 5:04:15 AM3/20/14
to Khan, Saad M. (MU-Student), biop...@googlegroups.com
Hello Saad (CC Biopieces Google Group)

Good job on installing Biopieces and the requirements. The Biopieces installer doesn't require root access - it simply requires a modern version of Ruby (> 1.9) and a few gems like narray. Of cause if you are using the system's version of Ruby you need admin rights to install these gems, if they are missing. I always end up downloading, compiling and installing a local version of Ruby myself.

The permission 770 on your home directory means that group members can write to your home directory - that is probably not what you want - and why you get that Ruby error. I suggest 750 permissions.

Cheers,

Martin

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 1:01 AM, Khan, Saad M. (MU-Student) <smk...@mail.missouri.edu> wrote:

Hi,

I was able to install biopieces by installing the ruby dependencies using rvm (ruby virtual manager). My home directory I have made accessible to other group members so the permissions are set to 770 so that they can access some of my code and programs. Now that I have installed and configured biopieces everytime I try to run read_fastq or read_fasta or any other biopiece executable that requires input data I get the following error.

/home/skhan is insecure (40770). It may not be group or world writable. Exiting.

Please advice what can I do to correct it.

regards

Saad Khan

Mar 20, 2014, 10:29:00 AM3/20/14
to Khan, Saad M. (MU-Student), biop...@googlegroups.com
The $BP_TMP folder needs to be writable for those who use your Biopieces installation - mine is 777.
The $BP_BIN folder needs to be read/executable - mine is 755.
My /home and /home/maasha is 755

Cheers,

Martin

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 3:12 PM, Khan, Saad M. (MU-Student) <smk...@mail.missouri.edu> wrote:
Which folders need 770 permissions the installation folder only or others as wee