NIH Image for Windows

Travis Jones

Feb 20, 1995, 5:01:34 PM2/20/95
If it exists, does anyone know how and/or where I can get a copy of NIH Image for Windows? Email or
direct post will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Anderas Becker

Feb 24, 1995, 6:49:27 AM2/24/95

As I know there is no NIH-Image for DOS or Windows availible. If you want to
run an older version of NIH-Image you can do it with executor 1.99f
which is a MAC emulation for DOS (you find it anywhere in the net).
It is a demo version that only runs for about 10 minutes.The price for
executor full version is 99 dollar. It is ok but it has some restriction
( no printer, you need a Mac formated disk in your floppy, no multitasking
and so on). It works more or less stable.
The version you can run with executor is 1.55 instead of 1.57 which is the
newest one. You can find it on NIH in the directory spin-offs or something like
that.
If you want further information don't bother to ask me.
I had had the same problems before.

Andreas

Andreas Becker
Arbeitskreis Prof. Kadenbach, FB Chemie/Biochemie, Hans-
Meerwein-Strasse, Philipps-Universitaet, 35043 Marburg, Germany
Phone: privat +49 6421 47304 Labor +49 6421 28 -5721 Fax -2191
eMail: BEC...@ps1515.Chemie.Uni-Marburg.De

u73...@sun1.lrz-muenchen.de

Mar 2, 1995, 4:25:49 AM3/2/95
>If it exists, does anyone know how and/or where I can get a copy of NIH Image for Windows? Email or
>direct post will be much appreciated.

Does not exist! It is only available for (Power)Macs.

--Harald Felgner

Anderas Becker

Mar 5, 1995, 7:52:06 PM3/5/95
But you can run NIH-Image V1.55 with executor unter DOS. It is a shareware emulation for a mac.
Find version 199k (or may be 1.2) of executor and install version 1.55 of NIH-Image.
You find that "old" version of NIH-Image in the spin_offs directory of the zippy server.

If you have more questions do not bother to ask me. I had had to solve the same problem.

John Brunstein

Mar 10, 1995, 1:25:37 PM3/10/95

On 6 Mar 1995, Anderas Becker wrote:

> In article <3j42ut$5...@sunserver.lrz-muenchen.de>, u73...@sun1.lrz-muenchen.de () says:
> >
> >>If it exists, does anyone know how and/or where I can get a copy of NIH Image for Windows? Email or
> >>direct post will be much appreciated.
> >
> >Does not exist! It is only available for (Power)Macs.
> >
> >--Harald Felgner
> >
> But you can run NIH-Image V1.55 with executor unter DOS. It is a shareware emulation for a mac.
> Find version 199k (or may be 1.2) of executor and install version 1.55 of NIH-Image.
> You find that "old" version of NIH-Image in the spin_offs directory of the zippy server.
>
> If you have more questions do not bother to ask me. I had had to solve the same problem.

> **********************
*** I suspect what you meant to say was 'don't HESITATE to ask me' (or
else people are suddenly getting really rude on this group :-) ***

Duncan Clark

Mar 13, 1995, 5:16:56 AM3/13/95
Is the DOS emulator freely available, if so where?

> But you can run NIH-Image V1.55 with executor unter DOS. It is a shareware emulation for a mac.
> Find version 199k (or may be 1.2) of executor and install version 1.55 of NIH-Image.
> You find that "old" version of NIH-Image in the spin_offs directory of the zippy server.

Duncan

Anderas Becker

Mar 14, 1995, 12:27:55 PM3/14/95

Ardi's current version of Executor is 1.99h. You can get the demo from
ftp.cs.unm.edu (unm.edu, not umn.edu!) under the directory /pub/ardi.
Or try it with ftp.ardi.com which are the distributers of Executor.
They have a newslist especially for executor where you can subscribe:
majo...@nacm.com or you can contact them directly by email:
ques...@ardi.com.
Executor is a demo version that only runs for about 10 minutes.The price for

executor full version is 99 dollar. It is ok but it has some restriction
( no printer, you need a Mac formated disk in your floppy, no multitasking

and so on). It works more or less stable. Executor support three different
operating systems: DOS, NeXTStep and Linux.
To run NIH-Image you can also use version 1.2 which is easier availible
on the net.The archie request name is: "exctr12" .

The version you can run with executor is NIH-Image 1.55 which you can find
on zippy.nimh.nih.gov in the directory pub/nih-image/nih-image_spinoffs.
A mirror of nih-image in europe is gwdu30.gwdg.de in the directory
pub/macintosh. It is no use to try NIH-Image version 1.57, it requires
mac system 7.x.

If you want further information don't bother to ask me.
I had had the same problems before.

Andreas

Duncan Clark

Mar 16, 1995, 5:35:52 AM3/16/95
OK having retrieved NIH Image 1.55 how does one extract a .hqx file.
I'm used to zip, arc, boo etc but this is a new one.

Thanks

Duncan

Duncan Clark

Mar 17, 1995, 5:37:46 AM3/17/95
Version 1.99k of Executor is in Simtel20 mirrored to various sites.
Look for files Exkdisk1.zip and Exkdisk2.zip. If you have a Viper
video card remember to switch the mode to VESA (just type vprmode
vesa at DOS command prompt) else the Mac display is wrapped around
the screen!

I still need to know how to extract the .hqx Image file. Help!

Duncan Clark

Mar 17, 1995, 10:12:47 AM3/17/95
In article: <433585...@genesys.demon.co.uk> Dun...@genesys.demon.co.uk (Duncan Clark) writes:

> OK having retrieved NIH Image 1.55 how does one extract a .hqx file.
> I'm used to zip, arc, boo etc but this is a new one.

It helps if one reads the docs with the emulator! The Bixhex program with the
emulator unpackages Image OK providing one ftp's the NIH file as an ascii file. I
originally pulled it as a binary file 'cos that's what one does for PC files.
Mistake! It only wants to unpackage as an ascii file. Runs fine on a 66Mhz 486
with 16Mb and the v1.99k emulator. I'll register the emulator so I get more ]
than 10 mins. use.

Duncan