ulimit ["Error status = 139"]

Dave Matthews

Feb 14, 2006, 12:04:57 PM2/14/06
to Jing Yu, ACEDB newsgroup
Hi Jing,

> I checked the ulimit on my server
> (see bellow) but not sure what that means? what is the current size that
> I am having? - Could you give me a hint?

In bash, say "ulimit -a".
On greengenes this gives me:

$ ulimit -a
time(seconds) unlimited
file(blocks) unlimited
data(kbytes) unlimited
stack(kbytes) 8192
coredump(blocks) 0
nofiles(descriptors) 64
memory(kbytes) unlimited

This reminds me, a few months ago I had to reset the limit on descriptors
(the number of files open at the same time) in order to load GrainGenes.
User acedb's .cshrc has this:

# dem 8nov05: The default 64 descriptors isn't enough for loading ACEDB now.
unlimit descriptors

This is because GG's database/ directory has so many files, which isn't
your problem.

If your problem is running out of stack space there might be a message in
the system log, /var/adm/messages or wherever it is in baumwolle.

- Dave