tag does not fit model error 4.9t

1 view

Mark Wilkinson

Feb 2, 2005, 4:08:59 AM2/2/05
Hi all!

Yes, I'm still kicking around with AceDB :-)

I'm experiencing a peculiarity that has me a bit befuddled. I did the
following:

1) I have a models.wrm and a bunch of .ace files generated from a dump
of the associated database.
2) I start up ACE (4.9t) and initiatlize a new database with this
models.wrm file.
3) I start to read in the ACE files (b.t.w. why don't they all read in
one after another like they used to?)
4) I get an error in my Protein class saying that tag DNA_homol does
not fit model.
5) I look at the offending line in the .ace file and it is simply

Protein : xxxx
DNA_homol yyyy

6) I look at what is loaded into the database, and it has in fact been
written into the DB!
7) I open the "offending" Protein record, and make a dump of *just*
that record.
8) I look at the two .ace files side by side and they are 100% identical.

How can it be that Ace can read in a record, claim that there is an
error, read it in regardless, and then dump out exactly the same
"erroneous" record? you'll have to trust me that the error message is
incorrect,and that DNA_homol is, in fact, a valid tag in the model :-)

Any advice is welcome!!

Cheers all!

Mark

---

Ed Griffiths

Feb 2, 2005, 4:14:15 AM2/2/05
Mark,

Several users reported this, if you update to 4.9v you should find the problem
has gone away, sorry for the inconvenience.

In point 3) you mention that the files don't read in automatically any more, can
you just clarify what files/ where they are etc etc

Ed

| Ed Griffiths, Acedb development, Informatics Group, |
| Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, |
| Hinxton, Cambridge CB10 1SA, UK |
| |
| email: edg...@sanger.ac.uk Tel: +44-1223-494780 Fax: +44-1223-494919 |

Mark Wilkinson

Feb 4, 2005, 2:36:43 AM2/4/05
Hi Ed!

Build 4.9v is not listed as a "stable release" (in fact, it isn't listed
at all on the downloads page... the last supported release is 4.9t on
the website, and the other versions listed don't pass all tests). Is it
safe to run 4.9v as a production db?

what I meant by "doesn't read files automatically" is that in both xace
and tace I want to be able to say:

parse dump_2005-02-03*

and get it to read them all in, rather than having to name them one-by-one.

I recall that, in xace, it used to be only necessary to double-click the
first one and the rest would get sucked in automatically. I guess that
isn't a particular nice behaviour from a GUI, but from a text interface
is seems friendly!

Let me know about 4.9v, and if it is stable then I'll happily upgrade.

Cheers all!!

Mark

---

Ed Griffiths

Feb 4, 2005, 2:49:26 AM2/4/05
Mark,

> Build 4.9v is not listed as a "stable release" (in fact, it isn't listed
> at all on the downloads page... the last supported release is 4.9t on
> the website, and the other versions listed don't pass all tests). Is it
> safe to run 4.9v as a production db?

Sorry, I meant to say 4.9z, agh, what an idiot. Don't worry about the failing
tests they are to do with some new tests/functions we have incorporated and the
percentage will go back up to a 100 once 4.9z becomes the stable release.

> what I meant by "doesn't read files automatically" is that in both xace
> and tace I want to be able to say:
>
> parse dump_2005-02-03*
>
> and get it to read them all in, rather than having to name them one-by-one.
>
> I recall that, in xace, it used to be only necessary to double-click the
> first one and the rest would get sucked in automatically. I guess that
> isn't a particular nice behaviour from a GUI, but from a text interface
> is seems friendly!

Just to be clear, are you saying that tace used to do this and now it doesn't ?
If so I will restore the behaviour, I could add it to tace but it will have to
go into the list of stuff to be done ;-)

Ed