Re: acedb to netscape

Saurav Mohanty

Dec 2, 2004, 3:38:32 AM12/2/04
Hello,

If I want to make a link from the Genebank accession number from my Acedb
objects to the NCBI website showing the same Accession number with its
corresponding data ...then how do I go about it?
Some objects in my database has a genebank number.I want the users to be
redirected to the NCBI website from my Acebrowser (without leaving my
site) feeding in the query to the NCBI website and throwing out the
results into my Acebrowser.

Can I do it using ?Url tag

Pls enlighten me.

Thnak you in advance
Saurav

On -1 xxx -1, it was written:

> the document /acedocs/ace97/ACEDB_2_WWW.html
> does NOT YET corresponds to the distributed acedb
>
> upto and including acedb.4_5, use the generic external
> call mechanism
>
> in any class, add a line
> Pick_me_to_call Text Text
>
> and in the object
> Pick_me_to_call Mosaic "http:\/\/www.truc.fr/ici/machin.html"
>
> en cliquant Pick_me_to_call il y a lancement de l'exe
> wscripts/Mosaic avec le param "http:\/\/www.truc.fr/ici/machin.html"
>
> an peut de cette amniere appleler n'importe quoi
> text1; nom du script
> text2 = ligne de commande du script

> ------=_NextPart_000_95b_5aa0_5ae0--

---

Dave Matthews

Dec 3, 2004, 3:25:31 AM12/3/04
Hi Saurav,

As far as I know AceBrowser doesn't normally have a feature to make specific
links to external Web databases. We've modified our version of AceBrowser to
do this, and the modification is available. See
http://www.graingenes.org/acebrowser_mods/ and "Hyperlink AceDB objects to
external databases" at
http://www.graingenes.org/acebrowser_mods/features.html.

This isn't completely supported, as Hugh Edwards has another job now, but
we'll do what we can if you have problems.

best,
- Dave

> To: bionet-sof...@net.bio.net
> From: sau...@algodon.tamu.edu (Saurav Mohanty)
> Subject: Re: acedb to netscape
> Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 08:38:32 +0000 (GMT)

> Hello,
>
> If I want to make a link from the Genebank accession number from my Acedb
> objects to the NCBI website showing the same Accession number with its
> corresponding data ...then how do I go about it?
> Some objects in my database has a genebank number.I want the users to be
> redirected to the NCBI website from my Acebrowser (without leaving my
> site) feeding in the query to the NCBI website and throwing out the
> results into my Acebrowser.
>
> Can I do it using ?Url tag
>
> Pls enlighten me.
>
> Thnak you in advance
> Saurav

---

Saurav Mohanty

Dec 3, 2004, 3:25:32 AM12/3/04
Hello Dave,

Thank you for your reply.
I have some queries reagrding the Ace-Mods

1) what changes needs to
be done in the
.ace files slurped by AceDB and to the corresponding class in the
wspec/models.wrm .In short what modifications(tag addition for external
Url linking) need to be done to the
concerned class defination in the models.wrm to make the whole thing work.

2) is the release stable and has it been tested??If not what type of
support can I expect in case of urgent malfunctioning if I decide to
incorporate the new set of scripts into my database.

3)If possible can you please send me just the class definition and one
data
object of the .ace file of the graingenes database for reference where
you have implemented this feature..

4) Is there any sort of comprehensive documentation..which I guess is not
necessary for me if you can send me just an example as requested in 3
,but anyway
necessary for any one who would really like to be completely sure
Thank you for your help in advance..I would be really thankful of you can
help me out of this.

regards
Saurav