acedb 4.9 news.

Ed Griffiths

Mar 30, 2006, 9:06:48 AM3/30/06
to acedb newsgroup on bionet
All,

I tried to post this a couple of days ago but it seems not to have go through.

Time moves on and the GTK graphics toolkit that acedb 4.9.* uses has moved on a
lot. Currently acedb 4.9 is compiled against GTK version 1.2 and the latest
stable version of GTK is version 2.6. GTK 1.2 is now not regularly installed
except as the libraries on our systems and it makes sense to move on.

I am proposing to do the following:

1) Make a special download link for the current development release of acedb
which will remain parmanently on our website as acedb/GKT1, the code will be
available as both statically and dynamically linked versions.

2) From now on make versions of acedb that are linked against GTK version 2.6.
This is the most stable current version of gtk (see www.gtk.org). I will make
dynamically linked versions but not statically linked. Making the statically
linked versions is painful and the binaries produced exceed the filesize limit
for our external website so that they are only available via ftp.

I intend to start this process at the end of April. Please let me have any
comments/problems etc before then.

thanks, Ed
| Ed Griffiths, Acedb development, Informatics Group, |
| The Morgan Building, Sanger Institute, Wellcome Trust Genome Campus |
| Hinxton, Cambridge CB10 1HH |
| |
| email: edg...@sanger.ac.uk Tel: +44-1223-496844 Fax: +44-1223-494919 |