Symposium

Dianne McGavin

Oct 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/11/00
Inter- and Intra-molecular Forces in Biological Systems

A Multi-day Symposium at the 2001 Meeting of the American Chemical
Society
in San Diego California, April 1-5, 2001

Molecular and colloidal forces play a fundamental role in the
structure, function and dynamics of biological macromolecules and
macromolecular assemblies. In this symposium we bring together
investigators using diverse experimental methods to study biologically
important systems. We will include computer modeling and simulations
that are closely tied to experimental force measurements. We hope to
stimulate discussions between those using different approaches to
identify emerging themes and differences in measurements and
interpretation. Confirmed invited speakers include:

Pierre Bongrand
Evan Evans
Hermann Gaub
Daniel Hammer
Jacob Israelichvili
Scot Kuo
Deborah Leckband
Carlos Marques
Michelle Wang

Abstracts are due November 11, and can be submitted online at:
http://oasys.acs.org/

Select "Division of Colloid and Surface Chemistry" and on the next page
select "Inter and Intramolecular Forces in Biological Systems."

Financial Support for Graduate Students.
Through a grant from the Whitaker Foundation we are able to offer a
limited number (we expect 5) of travel stipends of $500 each. To apply
for a travel award: after submitting an abstract, send a copy of the
abstract, a cover letter describing the importance of the research
described in the abstract, a and letter of recommendation from the
student's research supervisor to one of the organizers below. The
recommendation should include a statement that the applicant is enrolled
as a graduate student and is the primary author of the work presented.

Co-organizers:
Prof. Jan H. Hoh
Department of Physiology
Johns Hopkins University