Symposium on Origin and Evolution of Photosynthesis at NASA

Larry Orr

Jan 27, 2012, 11:44:36 AM1/27/12
to phot...@magpie.bio.indiana.edu
Sent upon request of Robert Blankenship

Dear Photosynthesis Colleagues,

Jason Raymond and I are organizing a symposium session on origin and early evolution of photosynthesis at the NASA Astrobiology Science Conference (AbSciCon) which will be held April 16-20, 2012 in Atlanta Georgia. We  invite contributions to this symposium. I have pasted in the session description below. It is Symposium 10 in the larger category of "Origin of Life from the Top Down". More information about the meeting can be found at http://abscicon2012.arc.nasa.gov/. It promises to be an exciting meeting with a very broad range of session topics.

The deadline for abstract submission is January 31. There will be some oral presentations chosen from the submitted abstracts and the rest will be invited to present posters.
best regards,
Bob Blankenship

Session Family: Origin of Life from the Top Down
Session Title: "The origin and early evolution of photosynthesis"

Description: This symposium will examine the origin and early evolutionary history of photosynthesis. The session will include some contributions that focus on the biological aspects and also some that focus on the geological evidence. Specific topics may include the following: the nature and time of appearance of the first phototrophs, the transition from anoxygenic to oxygenic photosynthesis and the Great Oxidation Event, and the origin of chloroplasts and eukaryotic phototrophs.

Robert Blankenship
Lucille P. Markey Distinguished Professor of Biology and Chemistry
Washington University
St. Louis, MO 63130