CALL FOR ABSTRACTS: AOGS-AGU Joint Assembly, Singapore (August 2012)

brodie

Jan 29, 2012, 8:06:25 AM1/29/12
to phot...@magpie.bio.indiana.edu
Dear List members,

We would like encourage interested researchers to submit an abstract to our inter-disciplinary session (see below) at the forthcoming AOGS-AGU Joint Assembly (13th - 17th August 2012) in Singapore.

Session Title: Insights to the modern and palaeo carbon cycle: an isotopic and biomarker perspective

Understanding the carbon (C) cycle is central to constraining environmental processes from biological productivity through to palaeo environmental interpretations. Rigorously quantifying these processes at different spatial and temporal scales requires an integrative inter-disciplinary approach incorporating both organic and inorganic C. This session aims to bring together plant physiologists, ecologists, pedologists, carbon capture and sequestration researchers, atmospheric chemists, biogeochemists and palaeoclimatologists that use bulk and compound specific δ13C, D14C and biomarker distributions in aquatic and terrestrial, modern and palaeo environments. We particularly encourage contributions investigating biological productivity (i.e. photosynthesis; air-plant-land interactions); short- and long-term C fluxes; diagenesis and soil processes; the use of C to investigate modern and palaeo-environments; and method development. This session forms part of the activities of the “Development of Isotopic Proxies for Palaeoenvironmental Interpretations: A Carbon Perspective” (DIPPI-C) working group (www.dippi-c.org).

Link: http://www.asiaoceania.org/aogs2012/mars/confSessionView.asp?sID=3

Convenors: Chris Brodie (Hong Kong University, China); James Casford (Durham University, UK); Prof. Michael Bird and Dr. Christopher Wurster (James Cook University, Australia).

Abstract submission is via http://www.asiaoceania.org/aogs2012/public.asp?page=abstract.htm and the deadline is 12th March 2012.

We are very keen to receive abstracts from researchers working in modern through to palaeo, terrestrial and aquatic environments using bulk and compound specific δ13C and biomarker distributions across all disciplines. This session will be of interest to many users of this forum (and others not on this list, so please do pass this on to any colleagues you think may be interested) and is designed to be inter-disciplinary in nature. We are very open to all strands of research utilizing these proxies to gain an insight into modern and palaeo biogeochemical processes (including water column and surface sediment research; atmospheric biochemistry; archaeology; and related research), and what this means for understanding environmental and climatic processes, as well as the caveats in the scientific understanding, from an inter-disciplinary perspective.

All the best,

Dr. Chris Brodie
Department of Earth Sciences
James Hsioung Lee Science Building
The University of Hong Kong
Pokfulam Road
Hong Kong SAR, China

Associate Editor for Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems (G-Cubed) for DIPPI-C theme.

Co-Chair of Development of Isotopic Proxies for Palaeoenvironmental Interpretation: A Carbon Perspective (DIPPI-C) working group

DIPPI-C working group
HKU department profile