Bionet discussion lists will be turned off this week

Don Gilbert

Apr 5, 2019, 8:20:56 AM4/5/19
to zbra...@magpie.bio.indiana.edu

PLEASE NOTE:
This Bionet discussion service will be turned off at Indiana University
at the end of this week, 6 April. This discussion network seeks a new
supporting organization for http://www.bio.net/

I will provide a public web archive of the past 30 years of
messages, at a new home for www.bio.net, on Jetstream-cloud.org (NSF funded)
or/and at cloud.google.com (dgg funds, or maybe with your contributions).
New messages will be suspended; I will take a look at cost/effort
to restart it, but by preference would like others to help.

Discussion of Bionet's future can proceed on Bionet.general,
via this Google Groups copy, which should survive the IU shutdown.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/bionet.general

Suggestions and comments may also be emailed to me at
gilbert...@gmail.com, please request anonymity if desired.
See also this notice about Bionet at
https://doi.org/10.7287/peerj.preprints.27523v1

A host organization that will maintain or expand this unique resource
is sought. Suggestions include (1) an established biology-oriented
center that already maintains public E-mail lists with the popular
GNU-Mailman system used by Biosci; (2) open-access science
communication credentials; (3) possible re-location to an Old World
home, in Europe or Asia-Pacific, as Bionet receives continuing high
use from these areas. The alternative of a new institutional home for
Bionet will be up to group members, with options of commercial
offerings like Google Groups, Twitter, FaceBook, and others.

-- Don Gilbert
E-mail: gilbert...@gmail.com or gilb...@indiana.edu

Burdine, Rebecca D.

Apr 5, 2019, 12:14:51 PM4/5/19
to Don Gilbert, zbra...@magpie.bio.indiana.edu
I haven't seen any discussion on this. Does the zebrafish community have thoughts on whether or not we need a listserv such as this? (I've found it valuable). If so, what can we do going forward?

Rebecca D. Burdine, PhD
Associate Professor
Dept. of Molecular Biology
Princeton University
Washington Road Mof 433
Princeton, NJ 08544

Phone: (609) 258-7515
Fax: (609) 258-1547
Email: rbur...@princeton.edu
Admin Assistant: Laisa M. Eimont (609) 258-2933  lei...@Princeton.EDU

Don Gilbert

Apr 5, 2019, 1:31:38 PM4/5/19
to Burdine, Rebecca D., zbra...@magpie.bio.indiana.edu, biof...@magpie.bio.indiana.edu
Rebecca,

I've not heard from the zbrafish/bionet.zebrafish moderator for a while, and don't know what options may be available
for this particular group, beyond what I list in in these messages.  I'll spend some time looking at re-starting messages
for all of Bionet at new home, but the cost in effort is fairly large.   Two of largest groups with active moderators and
discussion are opting to find a new venue.  The remaining readers of other active groups such as zbrafish should have a
discussion, the best forum will be   https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/bionet.general as that continues on past tomorrow
(due to oddities of Usenet, this unmoderated copy at google will remain usable).   If you readers/contributors express enough interest
in having all of the remaining active Bionet groups continue under that umbrella, I'll put some further effort into this.

- Don Gilbert

--
don gilbert - www.bio.net - bioinformatics - indiana.u.