Postdoctoral Research Position

Claudio Joazeiro

Feb 10, 2015, 1:19:01 PM2/10/15
to ye...@magpie.bio.indiana.edu
To whom it may concern:

I would be grateful if you could forward the notice below to the members of your yeast mailing list.
Thank you in advance,
Claudio Joazeiro

Postdoctoral Positions:
Protein Quality Control and Molecular Mechanisms of Neurodegeneration

Postdoctoral positions are available in the laboratory of Claudio Joazeiro, Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, The Scripps Research Institute (San Diego, California).

Research in the laboratory investigates the function of E3 ubiquitin ligases in biology and disease (Deshaies & Joazeiro, 2009. Annu Rev Biochem. 78:399-434). The positions available are to elucidate the mechanism of action of the Listerin/Ltn1 E3 ligase in ribosome-associated protein quality control, and/or to understand how defects in Listerin function cause neurodegeneration.

We had previously reported on a new mouse model of ALS/motor neuron disease caused by mutation of Listerin, whose function was unknown at the time (Chu et al. 2009. PNAS 106:2097-103). Listerin is conserved in eukaryotes, so we utilized S. cerevisiae to study its function and found that this E3 ligase is associated with the large ribosomal subunit and mediates quality control of aberrant nascent polypeptides (Bengtson & Joazeiro 2010, Nature 467:470-3; Lyumkis et al 2014, PNAS 111:15981-6).

Our research team undertakes different approaches to study the Listerin pathway, including biochemistry, yeast genetics, structural biology, mammalian tissue culture, and gene-disease association studies using ALS patient samples. We are also well positioned to uncover novel molecular mechanisms underlying neurodegeneration by applying the discoveries we make with these approaches to studies involving the Listerin-mutant mouse model.

The candidate is expected to be proactive and productive, and should have strong background in biochemistry and molecular biology.

Please send CV, a paragraph on current and future research interests, and the names and contact information of three references to joaz...@scripps.edu