Drop Dialysis of Ligations

Rich Kernan

Sep 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/14/95
We frequently use 25 mm milipore filters floating in a petri dish of water to
dialyze a few drops of ligation reaction prior to electroporation to avoid
arcing. These filters are fairly expensive and i was wondering if anyone could
suggest an alternative or possibly a better method

Stephen P Lee

Sep 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/14/95
In article <950914.08453...@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>,

Would a cut piece of dialysis tubing work?

--
Stephen P. Lee Office: (604) 291-4291
Department of Biological Sciences Fax: (604) 291-3496

Mark Siegal

Sep 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/14/95
I really like the protocol of Mark Thomas (Biotechniques 16:988, 1994),
using butanol to clean up ligations for electroporation.

Briefly,

1) inactivate ligase at 65C for 10 min
2) bring vol to 50 ul with dH2O
3) add 500 ul n-butanol
4) vortex 5 sec, then spin in microcentrifuge 10 min
5) discard supernatant, dry pellet
6) resuspend pellet in 10 ul dH2O and transform 5 ul

Works like a charm for me and others in this lab. The large volume of
butanol completely dehydrates the ligation reaction and reduces the ionic
strength. Arcing is never a problem and neither is loss of the sample.

Mark L. Siegal
Hartl Lab
Harvard University

Christian Fritze

Sep 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/14/95
In article <439mnu$r...@decaxp.harvard.edu>, mlsi...@fas.harvard.edu (Mark
Siegal) wrote:

> [butanol extraction method]
>

> Rich Kernan (KER...@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU) wrote:

> [microdialysis method]

Are these really necessary? I dilute a 20 uL ligation 1:5 in water, then
transform 2-3 uL by electroporation. It never arcs, and I get more
colonies than I know what to do with.

Christian

the End

Sep 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/16/95
How does a butanol extraction reduce ionic strength?

Jim
J. Graham
Biology Department
Washington University of St. Louis

Mark Siegal

Sep 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/18/95
(jgr...@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu) wrote:
: How does a butanol extraction reduce ionic strength?

I was skeptical too at first, and still don't know how the salt gets
removed, but I did track down the following info. The butanol extraction
method for cleaning up ligations for electroporation is based on a method
for purifying oligonucleotides (NAR 19:674, 1991) after deprotection in
NH3 and lyophilization. The authors of that study compare n-butanol
extraction (same 10:1 ratio of butanol:aqueous) with Mg++/ethanol
precipitation, using UV/vis spectroscopy to assess the level of organic
contamination and conductivity measurements to assess the level of ionic
contamination. Mg++/ethanol precipitation reduced conductivity to about
30 percent of the lyophilized sample and butanol extraction reduced
conductivity to about 50 percent of the lyophilized sample. So somehow
the salt is removed.

Then again, if these numbers are reliable, diluting a ligation mix 1:1
with H2O reduces the ionic strength by the same amount as butanol
extraction!

Regards,
Mark

shyam...@gmail.com

Mar 14, 2018, 6:24:32 PM3/14/18
On Thursday, September 14, 1995 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Rich Kernan wrote:
> We frequently use 25 mm milipore filters floating in a petri dish of water to
> dialyze a few drops of ligation reaction prior to electroporation to avoid
> arcing. These filters are fairly expensive and i was wondering if anyone could
> suggest an alternative or possibly a better method

Could you give me a protocol? I've ordered these membranes and have a hard time telling which is the shiny side. Both look the same.

Shyamal