New Sequencing Awards, New Timetable for "Working Draft" of the Human

Betty K Mansfield

Mar 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/16/99

> Human Genome Project Announces Successful Completion of Pilot Project,
> Launches large-scale Effort to Sequence the Human Genome with New Awards,
> Accelerated Timetable
>
> The international Human Genome Project today announced the successful
> completion of the pilot phase of sequencing the human genome and the launch
> of the full scale effort to sequence all 3 billion letters (referred to as
> bases) that make up the human DNA instruction book. Based on experience
> gained from the pilot projects, an international consortium now predicts they
> will produce at least 90 percent of the human genome sequence in a "working
> draft" form by the spring of 2000, considerably earlier than expected.
>
> "I am extremely pleased that the Human Genome Project has accelerated efforts
> to complete one of the most important scientific projects in human history -
> unlocking the secrets of the genetic code. The Project will forever change
> how we understand the human body and disease, leading to improved prevention,
> treatments, and cures for what are currently medical mysteries," said Vice
> President Al Gore. "Specifically, I am thrilled that we are moving into full
> scale sequencing and are on track to complete a working draft of the human
> genome a year and half ahead of schedule. I want to commend the scientists
> that have dedicated themselves to moving forward on this project that will
> improve health care for millions of Americans," Gore said.
>
> The international consortium currently includes three U.S. laboratories
> funded by the National Human Genome Research Institute (NHGRI) of the
> National Institutes of Health (NIH), the Joint Genome Institute of the U.S.
> Department of Energy (DOE), and the Sanger Centre supported in the United
> Kingdom by the Wellcome Trust.
>
> The initiation of the full scale sequencing effort is based on the success of
> pilot projects that began three years ago to test new technologies and
> strategies for sequencing the large and complex human genome. In the pilot
> phase, eight scientific teams supported by NHGRI, DOE and international
> collaborators completed the sequence of over 480 million bases, of which 260
> million (or close to 10 percent of the human genome) are in high-quality
> finished form. The finished sequence produced by the pilot projects met or
> exceeded the international accuracy standard of no more than 1 error in
> 10,000 bases. In fact, the most recent assessment showed that leading
> sequencers are ten times more accurate than that, producing fewer than 10
> errors for every million bases sequenced. Pilot project participants also
> drove down the cost of sequencing to an average of 20 - 30 cents per base
> today.
>
> To kick off the full scale sequencing phase, the NHGRI and the Wellcome Trust
> today announced awards to four sequencing groups. NHGRI is awarding new
> [...]
http://www.nhgri.nih.gov/NEWS/pilot_project_completion.html

For more information on the DOE and NIH Human Genome Project Five Year Plan,
see:
http://www.ornl.gov/hgmis/hg5yp

Betty K. Mansfield, Managing editor, Human Genome News
Oak Ridge National Laboratory Voice: 423/576-6669
1060 Commerce Park Fax: 423/574-9888
Oak Ridge, TN 37830
E-mail: b...@ornl.gov http://www.ornl.gov/hgmis
http://www.ornl.gov/TechResources/Human_Genome/research.html
http://www.ornl.gov/hgmis/resource/medicine.html
Sponsor: U.S. Department of Energy Human Genome Program