Bioinformatics: Computers in Molecular Biology Hopkins Online Course this Summer

1 view

Sadhya Moss, JHU

May 3, 2002, 5:51:35 PM5/3/02
Hello ,

The Zanvyl Krieger School of Arts & Sciences is offering an
undergraduate version of its bioinformatics basics course -- Computers
in Molecular Biology -- this summer, online.

This course is derived from the graduate level version which is
offered in our master's degree in biotechnology program, and is a
great teaching tool for lab scientists who do not have data retrieval
and analysis skills; the teacher of this course is a real master. Bob
Lessick earned his Ph.D. from Hopkins, works in data analysis and
retrieval, and is a seasoned online instructor.

If you know of anyone who this course would serve, please pass this
email along; if there is anyone you might suggest that I contact, it
would be great to know! This is our first term offering this course to
undergraduates and pre-college students.

Sadhya
410-516-5554

http://www.jhu.edu/summer/vu/online_biology.html

Computers in Molecular Biology 020.120 (N)
Retrieval and analysis of electronic information are essential in
today's research environment. This course explores the theory and
practice of molecular database searching and sequence alignment and
introduces students to integrated information retrieval and analysis.
It covers databases and
Internet access, sequence homology searching and multiple alignment,
and sequence motif analysis. Classes are held n the computer lab and
include analysis of software setup and usage, sequence analysis over
the Internet, and the interpretation of results. Some acquaintance
with computers is
required.

Prerequisites: 020.151 General Biology, or 020.130 Introduction to
Biological Molecules, or AP Biology (score of 4 or 5); 020.305
Biochemistry recommended
Second Term: July 1 to August 9 on-line
$1490 3 credits Lessick

Sadhya Moss / Online Education / sad...@jhu.edu