Mathematics for metabolic modelling

Heather Vincent

Feb 18, 2010, 8:26:07 AM2/18/10
to btk...@magpie.bio.indiana.edu
Applications are invited for this new distance learning course in
mathematical methods for the biosciences. It is a Masters-level course,
designed to provide professional development for employees working in
the pharmaceutical and the biotechnology industries. It can be studied
as an individual unit, or can be accredited towards a qualification from
the University of Manchester, UK.

The course will provide an introduction to the mathematical skills and
concepts needed for modelling biological systems. Students will be
using R, an increasingly important language for data analysis for the
life sciences. For those beginning to use metabolic modelling in their
research, it will also prepare you for our core modelling course
'Computational simulation and analysis of biochemical networks'.

The key course themes are :

Descriptive Statistics and Graphics with R
Introduction to Probability
Kinetics and Ordinary Differential Equations
Statistical Inference
Markov Chain Monte Carlo (MCMC) Bayesian Inference
A Biochemical Network Model

For details of Mathematics for metabolic modelling :
http://octette.cs.man.ac.uk/bioinformatics/modules/maths.html

For information on our distance Masters programmes in Computational
Biology : http://octette.cs.man.ac.uk/bioinformatics/index.html

If have any questions about the options, please contact
Heather...@manchester.ac.uk