Homework Help Needed: Take this Quick Genetic Engineering Survey

Jim

Jan 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/1/00
Please pardon the crosspost. I need at least 50 responses to this, and
unfortunatley, none of these groups boasts a huge readership. I
suggest the you limit followups to the group you are reading, or
follow up by e-mail.

I am taking Molecular Biology in a Math & Science Magnet High School.
We have a project to develop a survey on people's attitudes toward
genetic engineering. I have to tally the results from at least 50
people, and the report is due January 7, 2000. I'd very much
appreciate your input. You may follow up to the one group you are
reading, or respond via e-mail. In any case, I will publish the
results here as a statistical rollup only. No names or e-mail
addresses will be included in the results.

Thanks for your attention to this request. The survey follows:

1. Age?

2. Gender?
<a> male <b> female

3. Religious Preference?
<e>Other/None

4. Do you know of genetic engineering?

5. Do you approve of the patenting of DNA? (The patenting of DNA is
where one's genetic map can actually be copyrighted.)

6. Do you believe that biotechnology should continue to be explored by
science?

7. Do you believe that the science of biotechnology is "playing god?"

8. Do you believe that scientists should cure congenital diseases
genetically?

9. Do you believe that parents should be able to change
characteristics of their child genetically?

10. Do you believe that it is justified for parents to "remedy" a
mentally retarded child before it's born genetically?

11. Do you believe that it is justified for parents to "remedy" a
mentally retarded child after it's born genetically?

12. Do you believe that parents should be able to improve their
child's intelligence genetically?

13. Do you buy and eat food from the grocery store?

14. Have you eaten biotech foods?

15. If you have answered yes to the previous question, do you approve
of biotech foods?

That's it. Thanks,

Conrad
ET! Productions
Building Websites that Build Net Profits
http://www.etproductions.com/

William McAlister

Jan 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/2/00

Jim wrote in message <=1puOLMjiNrjlw...@4ax.com>...

>Please pardon the crosspost. I need at least 50 responses to this, and
>unfortunatley, none of these groups boasts a huge readership. I
>suggest the you limit followups to the group you are reading, or
>follow up by e-mail.
>
>I am taking Molecular Biology in a Math & Science Magnet High School.
>We have a project to develop a survey on people's attitudes toward
>genetic engineering. I have to tally the results from at least 50
>people, and the report is due January 7, 2000. I'd very much
>appreciate your input. You may follow up to the one group you are
>reading, or respond via e-mail. In any case, I will publish the
>results here as a statistical rollup only. No names or e-mail
>addresses will be included in the results.
>
>Thanks for your attention to this request. The survey follows:
>
>1. Age?

35

>2. Gender?
><a> male <b> female

male

>3. Religious Preference?
><e>Other/None

other

>4. Do you know of genetic engineering?

yes

>5. Do you approve of the patenting of DNA? (The patenting of DNA is
>where one's genetic map can actually be copyrighted.)

Not of individuals but of unique organisims (If you created it why not If
you discovered it occuring naturaly then no)

>6. Do you believe that biotechnology should continue to be explored by
>science?

it would be stupid to stop now just when its getting interisting

>7. Do you believe that the science of biotechnology is "playing god?"

Yes but whats wrong with playing god?

>8. Do you believe that scientists should cure congenital diseases
>genetically?

Yes Its a tool to be used like any other tool

>9. Do you believe that parents should be able to change
>characteristics of their child genetically?

Yes if they have the courage to do it and the fortitude to accecpt the
posibality of a mistake

>10. Do you believe that it is justified for parents to "remedy" a
>mentally retarded child before it's born genetically?

Yes by any means possable

>11. Do you believe that it is justified for parents to "remedy" a
>mentally retarded child after it's born genetically?

see reply to 10

>12. Do you believe that parents should be able to improve their
>child's intelligence genetically?

see reply to 9

>13. Do you buy and eat food from the grocery store?

yes

>14. Have you eaten biotech foods?

yes

>15. If you have answered yes to the previous question, do you approve
>of biotech foods?

yes i do again biotech is a tool to be used like anyother

>That's it. Thanks,

No problem and I hope you find my input worthwhile.

Gene Richardson

Jan 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/2/00
Jim wrote:

> Please pardon the crosspost. I need at least 50 responses to this, and
> unfortunatley, none of these groups boasts a huge readership. I
> suggest the you limit followups to the group you are reading, or
> follow up by e-mail.
>
> I am taking Molecular Biology in a Math & Science Magnet High School.
> We have a project to develop a survey on people's attitudes toward
> genetic engineering. I have to tally the results from at least 50
> people, and the report is due January 7, 2000. I'd very much
> appreciate your input. You may follow up to the one group you are
> reading, or respond via e-mail. In any case, I will publish the
> results here as a statistical rollup only. No names or e-mail
> addresses will be included in the results.
>
> Thanks for your attention to this request. The survey follows:
>
> 1. Age?
E.

> 2. Gender?
> <a> male <b> female
a.

> 3. Religious Preference?
> <e>Other/None
e.

> 4. Do you know of genetic engineering?
Yes

> 5. Do you approve of the patenting of DNA? (The patenting of DNA is
> where one's genetic map can actually be copyrighted.)
No

> 6. Do you believe that biotechnology should continue to be explored by
> science?
Yes

> 7. Do you believe that the science of biotechnology is "playing god?"
No

> 8. Do you believe that scientists should cure congenital diseases
> genetically?
Yes

> 9. Do you believe that parents should be able to change
> characteristics of their child genetically?
Yes

> 10. Do you believe that it is justified for parents to "remedy" a
> mentally retarded child before it's born genetically?
Yes

> 11. Do you believe that it is justified for parents to "remedy" a
> mentally retarded child after it's born genetically?
Yes

> 12. Do you believe that parents should be able to improve their
> child's intelligence genetically?
Yes

> 13. Do you buy and eat food from the grocery store?

Yes

> 14. Have you eaten biotech foods?

No

> 15. If you have answered yes to the previous question, do you approve
> of biotech foods?

> That's it. Thanks,

John Byrd

Jan 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/3/00
1. c
2. a
3. e
4. yes
5. Yes. I approve of DNA patenting If, and only if, an individual can patent
their own DNA in the same way that a company can patent a modified form of
an individual's DNA.
6. Yes. Exploring Biotech is the responsibility of developed nations that
have the safeguards in place to monitor and possibly regulate the research
if that becomes necessary during the preliminary stages of industrial
development.
7. No. "Playing God" is a catch-all phrase used by people who are scared by
the technology and form their opinion through ignorance or prejudice.
8. Yes, if that becomes the safest, most effective procedure for treatment.
9. Yes, but only under the consultation of a doctor AND a geneticist.
10. Yes, if the treatment poses little, or no threat to the child.
11. Yes, if the treatment poses little, or no threat to the child.
12. Yes, if the treatment poses little, or no threat to the child.
13. Yes.
14. Yes.
15. Yes. Every food that is consumed has been genetically engineered. When a
farmer in 300 B.C. selects seeds from a particular tomato based on its size,
that is a genetic trait that is being promoted in future generations of
tomatoes. In 1999, when enzymes from another species are added to corn in
order to give it the ability to synthesize its own pesticide, that is the
same thing thing. A genetic trait is being promoted for future generations
of corn.

Jim <et...@etproductions.com> wrote in message

> Please pardon the crosspost. I need at least 50 responses to this, and
> unfortunatley, none of these groups boasts a huge readership. I
> suggest the you limit followups to the group you are reading, or
> follow up by e-mail.
>
> I am taking Molecular Biology in a Math & Science Magnet High School.
> We have a project to develop a survey on people's attitudes toward
> genetic engineering. I have to tally the results from at least 50
> people, and the report is due January 7, 2000. I'd very much
> appreciate your input. You may follow up to the one group you are
> reading, or respond via e-mail. In any case, I will publish the
> results here as a statistical rollup only. No names or e-mail
> addresses will be included in the results.
>
> Thanks for your attention to this request. The survey follows:
>
> 1. Age?
>

> 2. Gender?
> <a> male <b> female
>

> 3. Religious Preference?
> <e>Other/None
>

> 4. Do you know of genetic engineering?
>

> 5. Do you approve of the patenting of DNA? (The patenting of DNA is
> where one's genetic map can actually be copyrighted.)
>

> 6. Do you believe that biotechnology should continue to be explored by
> science?
>

> 7. Do you believe that the science of biotechnology is "playing god?"
>

> 8. Do you believe that scientists should cure congenital diseases
> genetically?
>

> 9. Do you believe that parents should be able to change
> characteristics of their child genetically?
>

> 10. Do you believe that it is justified for parents to "remedy" a
> mentally retarded child before it's born genetically?
>

> 11. Do you believe that it is justified for parents to "remedy" a
> mentally retarded child after it's born genetically?
>

> 12. Do you believe that parents should be able to improve their
> child's intelligence genetically?
>

> 13. Do you buy and eat food from the grocery store?
>

> 14. Have you eaten biotech foods?

Aline Rossi

Jan 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/3/00