Re: Bioforum Digest, Vol 148, Issue 2

Andrew Papp

Mar 17, 2019, 9:19:43 PM3/17/19
to biof...@oat.bio.indiana.edu, biof...@magpie.bio.indiana.edu, gilbert...@gmail.com, gilb...@indiana.edu
Hello Don Gilbert and all,

I am a developmental genetics person and long time subscriber to the
dros and celegans lists. I have control over a Virtual Private Server
for approximately 3 years (until December 2021). I have root access to
the server and can host as many domains as I choose, and there is no
hard limit to the amount of e-mails the server can send via Mailman. I
am willing to host bio.net for free during this ~2.75 year period,
during which time you can explore other options. As far as I know, it
should be possible to copy the whole account from indiana.edu to my
server and change the DNS of bio.net to point to my server, and it
should simply keep working as it does now. If that is of interest, let
me know and I'll work with you / your people to get it done in the next
2 weeks before April.

Please let me know your thoughts on this (?)

Feel free to call me any afternoon after 1pm Pacific Time.

Best regards,
Andrew

Andrew Papp, Ph.D., President
Tritech Research
2961 Veteran Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90064
Tel: (310)446-4460
a...@TritechResearch.com

bioforum...@oat.bio.indiana.edu wrote:

> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2019 13:12:51 -0500 (EST)
> From: Don Gilbert <gilb...@net.bio.net>
> Subject: [Bioforum] This Bionet discussion list will be turned off in
> April
> To: biof...@magpie.bio.indiana.edu
>

> PLEASE NOTE:
> This Bionet discussion service will be turned of in April, next month,
> due to new Indiana University policy to remove scientist-run services
> such as this one. This discussion network seeks a new supporting
> organization for http://www.bio.net/
>
> Discussion of Bionet's future can proceed on the list Bionet.general,
> email: biof...@net.bio.net, or see this Google Groups copy,
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/bionet.general
> which should survive the IU shutdown.
>
> Suggestions and comments may also be emailed to me at
> gilbert...@gmail.com, please request anonymity if desired.
>
> See also this notice about Bionet at
> https://doi.org/10.7287/peerj.preprints.27523v1
>
> A host organization that will maintain or expand this unique resource
> is sought. Suggestions include (1) an established biology-oriented
> center that already maintains public E-mail lists with the popular
> GNU-Mailman system used by Biosci; (2) open-access science
> communication credentials; (3) possible re-location to an Old World
> home, in Europe or Asia-Pacific, as Bionet receives continuing high
> use from these areas. The alternative of a new institutional home for
> Bionet will be up to group members, with options of commercial
> offerings like Google Groups, Twitter, FaceBook, and others.
>
> -- Don Gilbert
> E-mail: gilbert...@gmail.com or gilb...@indiana.edu

Don Gilbert

Mar 17, 2019, 9:41:18 PM3/17/19
to Andrew Papp, biof...@magpie.bio.indiana.edu, Donald G. Gilbert
Andrew,

Thank you for this kind offer. It will need some thought on the effort
involved for your and any other
prospective new hosts for Bionet. The devil in this is that copying alone
isn't enough, there is much
reconfiguration/reprogramming needed to have this work on any other
system.

should be possible to copy the whole account from indiana.edu to my
> server and change the DNS of bio.net to point to my server, and it
> should simply keep working as it does now.

Not simply ..
I set this up here about 15 years back now. The Gnu Mailman system
that is the basic software is still widely used and about the same.
There are many details of work in reconfiguring things.
Spam filtering is essential as spammers hit on bio.net lists at a high rate.

The domain bio.net is part of this bundle, and the mailing lists all use "
li...@net.bio.net",
and Mailman provides a web interface for message moderateion (thru
www.bio.net).

Anyone interested should be aware of effort involved to get it working;
I'm willing to help but
will need a partner willing to devote sigificant setup effort.

-- Don Gilbert
--
don gilbert - www.bio.net - bioinformatics - indiana.u.

Andrew Papp

Mar 18, 2019, 1:30:34 PM3/18/19
to Don Gilbert, biof...@magpie.bio.indiana.edu, Donald G. Gilbert
Hi Don,

You are right that I don't know for sure what is involved. All that I
can tell you is that the server already has a one-click installer for
GNU Mailman on it (probably a recent version, but we could install an
older one if needed). I was thinking that all the mailman set up /
config files / would copy over along with the data, and possibly the
anti-spam stuff, too. But, since we have root access to the server, we
can install your anti-spam thing on the server if it isn't already there
and doesn't copy over with your user/account.

Yes, I'm aware of how messy it sometimes is to get things working on a
Linux server, and I'm willing to help. The server company has sysadmin
people who could help too, as long as requests are quite specific.
Mailman is still actively developed, so we could post come migration
questions to their User's forum for some tips before starting:

Bionet was a significant resource "back in the day" and I suspect is
still is for some. I'd be willing to put a few late nights into it if
you'd like to keep the system going pretty much as it is.

Best,
Andrew