Peltier versus Compressor Cooled Drosophila Chambers

Shingleton, Alexander

Jul 29, 2018, 3:52:41 PM7/29/18
to Dr...@magpie.bio.indiana.edu
Dear Fly Community,

I am looking to buy a couple of Drosophila incubators and have been looking at what is available. I have had Percival chambers in in the past, but am considering buying Peltier-cooled chambers instead. They are both a lot cheaper and (apparently) last longer. However, I also hear that they are not so good at maintaining lower temperatures. We keep our flies at 17˚C and 25˚C in a room that is about 20˚C. Does anyone have any insight into how well Peltier-cooled chambers perform under these conditions? I would add that we study body size, so we really don’t want to deal with any fluctuations in temperature.

Very many thanks for your help!

Alexander Shingleton
Associate Professor

Department of Biological Sciences