Drosophila Inquiry

Christopher Alexander

Dec 31, 2018, 11:06:28 AM12/31/18
to Dr...@magpie.bio.indiana.edu, mfla...@sewanhakaschools.org
Hello, Drosophila Community!

My name is Christopher Alexander and I am a 10th grader in the Elmont Memorial Science Research program. In this program, students have the opportunity to explore science beyond the classroom and we conduct projects based on topics of our interest.

This year, I am pursuing a project related to Ovarian Cancer. I am currently looking into testing the effects on Calcium Phosphate on the YKI gene in Drosophila melanogaster, a homologue to the human YAP gene.

While reviewing related literature, I read an article entitled “Hippo Pathway Effector Yap is an Ovarian Cancer Oncogene” which was published in Cancer Research in November 2010. This article helped formulate my project as it clarified a parallel between the Hippo Pathway in humans and Drosophila; something that was rather hard to find in other works. This articles also provided me with a Drosophila strain that is needed to conduct this experiment: UAS-Yap-S127A.

After searching Fly Base and Indiana’s Bloomington Stocks, I am unable to find a source of these flies. I am writing to respectfully request a stock of these flies, or to see if anyone could direct me towards a more suitable resource. I really appreciate your time and look forward to your response.

Please feel free to contact me or my research teacher Ms. Flannory if you have any questions (MFla...@SewanhakaSchools.org).

Respectfully,
Christopher Alexander