Chlamy Fluorescent Immunostaining

Heloisa Ciol

Jan 25, 2016, 10:10:14 AM1/25/16
to chl...@magpie.bio.indiana.edu
Dear all,

I was wondering if anyone could share here some experience in Chlamy
fluorescent immunostaining, please?

Since I started in this field, I couldn't apply to my experiments any of
the protocols mostly used so far. For some reason, I cannot fix my cells in
coverslips (I prepared coverslips at the lab, either using poly-L-lysine or
polyethyleneimine). At first the cells seem to be stuck at the glass, but
once I go to the washing steps, almost all of them disappear, and in the
end, I can find 2- 5 cells at the whole coverslip. To overcome that, we
developed a protocol for cell incubation in eppendorfs with blocking and
antibody solutions, which gives us a lot of cells, but not an uniform
staining pattern.

Besides that, we are trying to use alpha-tubulin or
alpha-acetylated-tubulin commercial antibodies as well, but we couldn't
stain a single cell so far.

Does anyone have a tip or a protocol to share that I could try using here
in our lab?

Thank you all.

Best regards,

--
Heloisa Ciol

Ben Engel

Jan 25, 2016, 11:09:23 AM1/25/16
to Heloisa Ciol, chl...@magpie.bio.indiana.edu
Hi Heloisa,

What type of fixation/permeabilization are you using? Cold methanol is
generally best for staining microtubules (but it is bad for other
structures like actin). It also extracts the chlorophyll, which is a plus
for immunofluorescence. Back when I used to stain chlamy cells, I put a
drop of dense culture on the poly-L coverslip, let the cells adhere for a
few minutes, drained off the excess, and then immediately put the
coverslips in a coplin jar of cold methanol in the freezer. Of course we
lost lots of cells, but there were always plenty on the slide.

Here is an old protocol that I used when I was in the Marshall lab. It
definitely works very well for acetylated tubulin. So if you try this and
don't see anything, I would blame your antibody. I have no idea anymore
what is the best acetylated tubulin antibody for Chlamy, but I'm sure
someone else on this list will know:

http://chlamy.tiddlyspot.com/#%5B%5BIF%20Staining%20-%20Chlamy%5D%5D

Good luck,
Ben

Ben Engel

Jan 25, 2016, 3:05:50 PM1/25/16
to Heloisa Ciol, chl...@magpie.bio.indiana.edu
Hi Heloisa,

Your cells should stick. My guess is that you aren't getting a good poly-L
coating of the coverslip. Maybe your poly-L is bad or at too low of a
concentration. If I remember correctly, we used poly-L that is 10x more
concentrated than what is used for mammalian cell culture.

I think this 0.1% solution from Sigma might be the one. It should just
come in a big plastic bottle:
http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/product/sigma/p8920

If you are only using 0.01%, that is likely your problem. Also make sure
that your culture is fairly dense, at least medium green or even a bit dark
green.

Good luck,
Ben