What is wrong with this text on telomerase and cancer?

neon0...@gmail.com

Oct 20, 2013, 3:33:17 PM10/20/13
I seem to have offended a Dutch gerontolist (aging and longevity expert) with this text on my blog:

Cancer cells are immortal because they come most of the time from DNA damaged stem cells, these kind of cancer cells have consequently found out the trick to keep activating the telomerase gene. DNA damage can come for example from radiation, virus inclusion and reactive oxygen species (ROS). The cancer cells show failure in apoptosis (to die for the benefit of all cells) and failure in contact inhibition (carcinoma's overgrowing and suppressing healthy tissue).

But not all cells with activated telomerase will turn into carcinoma. One could see the telomerase activity as a side effect in cancer cells, not the cause for the disease. OK beneficial for the cancer cells but also for the healthy cells! An potentially immortal human body consisting of only limitless dividing cells could also be in a state of completely cancer free, moreover by the limitless cell divisions the person specific genome is less likely to mutate because of the conserving effect of DNA non-stop copying. -- Something to think about: In a human body there are about 1.8 million DNA mutations per second! -- Moreover I think that apoptosis mechanisms will work correctly in human bodies composed of limitless dividing cells.

He did not say what is wrong with it though. Thats why I ask you newsgroup readers.

PLEASE HELP!

Kind regards,

galien8

BLOG: http://www.satoconor.com/

addre...@invalid.invalid

Feb 28, 2014, 7:55:09 PM2/28/14
Well, now major thing is that even if these cells are not cancerous. That
does not mean that their limitless replication is a benefit to the human
body. They still take a great deal of resources that would otherwise go to
the rest of the body. Also, cancer cells do not necessarily derive from
stem cells and can arise from any cell with enough mutation to the genetic
repair and apoptotic regulatory systems. Those are what stood out the most
to me anyway. I am not an expert but I am fairly knowledgable in the field
I believe.