Re: If Excess Protein Turns into Fat...

hanson

Aug 28, 2007, 1:44:56 AM8/28/07
"Bill Penrose" <pen...@iit.edu> wrote in message
news:1188277955.8...@i38g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

[hanson]
http://groups.google.com/group/misc.fitness.weights/msg/ae44828743af2c51?hl=en&
Is it really that clean cut and simple?.. i.e. history shows that all the
members, save 2 guys, of the De Soto expedition died from protein
poisoning because they only ate their horses (like your rabbits)
but some Inuits live very happily by eating only fat, whale blubber.

[Bill]
You can't get enough energy from lean meat. The body attempts to make
energy by burning protein, and the nitrogen loading can poison or the
body can simply starve.

Blubber isn't just fat. There's protein there, too. I remember in my
biochem classes in 1963-5 being told that Inuit have different
metabolism that allows them to subsist without carbohydrates. Biochem
was moderately primitive then, so I don't know what the modern story
is. It is true that Inuit and white people eating the same high-fat,
low-carbohydrate diets react differently, but I don't know the basis
of it.

[hanson]
So, something else seems to be at work here . What prevents or is
missing in our metabolism that does not allow us to aminate (insert
a NH2) into Leucine, (C6H13NO2) to yield Lysine (C6H14N2O2)?
... or to turn Valine C5H11NO2 by methyleneation (inserting a CH2)
into the C6 amino acids?

[Bill]
Missing enzymes. They've been lost, presumably because they weren't
needed during some period of our Special Creation/Evolution. Like the
ability to make ascorbic acid.

[hanson]
What is the reason for that in the thinking of the bio-med community?
Which are the responsible genes or DNA markers? Are they known?

[Bill]
I don't know.
Dangerous Bill

[hanson]
Thanks, man.
Perhaps some posters from the younger set can enlighten us...