What: Annual Bio-Ontologies COSI at ISMB
When: July 10-14, 2022
Where: Co-located virtually and in-person with the 30th Annual ISMB Meeting
Bio-Ontologies (http://www.bio-ontologies.org.uk/) is an International Society of Molecular Biology (ISMB) Community of Special Interest (COSI) and working group focused on the FAIR development and application of ontologies and other Linked Open Data resources, the latest and most innovative research in the application of these data, and the organization, presentation, and dissemination of knowledge in biomedicine and the life sciences. Bio-Ontologies will be in its 25th year at ISMB 2022 (https://www.iscb.org/ismb2022), which will be held in-person and online between July 10-14, 2022. Bio-ontologies will feature two days of exciting keynotes and cutting-edge research with one session conducted jointly with the Bioinformatics Open Source Conference (BOSC; https://www.open-bio.org/events/bosc-2022/) COSI.
We invite the submissions of proceedings papers (9 pages), short papers (2 pages), flash updates (1 page), and poster abstracts (1 page). New this year, we invite Early Career Submissions as lightning talks (1-2 pages). These submissions are intended to provide graduate students with the opportunity to present a short description of their research project at one of the leading conferences in computational biology and get first-hand feedback and mentorship from senior researchers in their field. This submission is open to Masters and Doctoral students who have not defended their thesis before the submission deadline. All relevant topics are invited. Example topics include (but not limited to):
· Ontologies for infectious disease monitoring and prediction
· Ontologies for climate change and its impact on human health
· Ontologies in annotations, mapping applications, and metadata standards
· FAIR data systems and application of ontologies and other Linked Open Data
· Bio-curation platforms, collaborative ontology authoring
· Ontology evolution, quality, and evaluation
· Ontologies, knowledge representation, and reasoning
· Machine (deep) learning and ontologies
· Text mining and ontologies
· Semantic Web-enabled applications
· Ontologies for biomedical research, health informatics, and health care
· Flash Updates on new and/or existing ontologies, Linked Open Data resources, tools, and applications
· Descriptions of DevOps and other types of technical infrastructure and pipelines
Submissions can be made on the ISMB site (https://www.iscb.org/ismb2022). For proceedings, please follow the instructions provided on the ISMB site. For all other submissions, please prepare your submission using the Bio-Ontologies templates (https://www.bio-ontologies.org.uk/ismb-annual-meeting#h.3xx0nigu9kop).
All submissions are reviewed (review criteria provided on the Bio-Ontologies website). Following review, successful short papers (20 minutes), flash updates (5 minutes), and early career (5 minutes) submissions will be presented at the Bio-Ontologies COSI. Unsuccessful paper submissions will automatically be considered for flash updates presentations. All submissions will be considered for poster presentations.
Accepted submissions require that one author register for the conference and present the work. The presenter should identify themselves as the corresponding author during the submission process. All accepted submissions will be catalogued in the 2022 Bio-Ontologies Zenodo Community and provided with a citable DOI. Accepted submissions will be invited to publish an extended version of their work in the Bio-Ontologies Thematic Series through the Journal of Biomedical Semantics.
Monday, November 29, 2021: Call for proceedings opens ·
Thursday, January 13, 2022 (11:59 PM any timezone): Submission deadline
Short Papers, Flash Updates, Early Career, and Poster Abstracts
Monday, January 24, 2022: Call for Abstracts Opens
· Thursday, April 21, 2022 (11:59 p.m. April 21, EDT): Abstract Submission Deadline
· Monday, April 25, 2022: Late Poster Submissions Open
· Thursday, May 19, 2022 (11:59 p.m. May 19, EDT): Late Poster Submissions Deadline
If you have any questions please feel free to send us an email (bioont...@gmail.com), direct message us on Slack (bioontologies.slack.com), or post a message on Twitter (@bioontologies) or our LinkedIn Group (https://www.linkedin.com/groups/13998260/).
The Bio-Ontologies Organizing Committee