Re: request for assistance - NL

Bierlaire Michel

Aug 11, 2022, 3:14:23 AM8/11/22
to Taghavi, Mehdi, Bierlaire Michel, Biogeme

On 11 Aug 2022, at 02:38, Taghavi, Mehdi <Mehdi....@jacobs.com> wrote:

Hello Professor Bierlaire,
We were hoping to use biogeme for estimating a multi-level nested logit model for the mode choice and came across a problem on how to represent the choice tree in Biogeme.

Reading other posts in the forum, I realised we might need to approximate our structure using a cross-nested model instead.

Indeed. It is easier and more appropriate to use a cross-nested logit model, instead of a multi-level nested logit.
The multi-level nested logit requires you to code the probability function of the MEV model, which may be quite technical.

I have posted my question on the forum page (here) but haven’t received much help. Do you think the forum was the best place for this type of question, or should I use other avenues for help on my question?

The forum is the right place, although it is not guaranteed that you’ll receive a response.
Look also at the examples provided online. This is usually the best way to proceed.

Any direction from your side would be much appreciated.
Kind Regards

Mehdi (Matt) Taghavi, M.Eng MIEAust | Jacobs | Associate Transport Modeller
Asia Pacific – People and Places Solutions
M: 041 2271 646
32 Cordelia St | South Brisbane, QLD 4101 | Australia
<image001.png>
Make flexibility work   if you receive an email from me outside of normal business hours, it's because I'm sending it at a time that suits me. I'm not expecting you to read it or reply until normal business hours.

NOTICE - This communication may contain confidential and privileged information that is for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any viewing, copying or distribution of, or reliance on this message by unintended recipients is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.