Nesting

Yuri Groeneveld

Jan 17, 2023, 9:50:58 AM1/17/23
to Biogeme
Dear Michel,

I am estimating a nested destination-mode choice model but the mu is lower than 1, 0.46. I've read on this google group that thats no correct and the nesting is done wrong. Yet I can't find the error. Thus, is it incorrect or is it possible in some cases?

for i in PC4_limburg:
    nests.append((MU_zone, [int(f'{i}1'), int(f'{i}2'), int(f'{i}3')]))

Here I create my nests. For every zone, I nest the car, pt and bike with the same mu for every zone. Because the nesting is the same for every zone.

Thanks in advance,
Yuri

Bierlaire Michel

Jan 17, 2023, 9:53:31 AM1/17/23
to yagroe...@gmail.com, Bierlaire Michel, Biogeme
Indeed, MU must be greater or equal to one.
It is actually a good iea to constrain the lower bound of the MU to 1.
I suggest to use a different mu for each nest.

Also, try different nesting structures. Instead of nesting per destination, try to nest per mode.

If nothing works, consider cross-nested logit.

Yuri Groeneveld

Jan 18, 2023, 10:15:33 AM1/18/23
to Biogeme
Another question,

I can't find clearly how to calculate the probability for each nest and within the nest, only the derivative.
Could you elaborate?

Thanks,
Yuri

Yuri Groeneveld

Jan 19, 2023, 2:27:51 AM1/19/23
to Biogeme
Thanks.

When I try nesting with the different modes, car and pt are 1 when constrained to 1 and bike is 1.07.
When I try a CNL the run time takes more than 72 hours. The run time of a mode NL is already over 5 hours.

My alternatives are zones in a province in The Netherlands and I want to apply that mu to other zones in The Netherlands thus I can't have specific mu's for specific zones.

With kind regards,