Seeking Advice on Improving MNL Model Fit with Low Rho-square

Suppharutchaya Chongutsah

May 9, 2024, 10:16:01 AMMay 9
to Biogeme

Hi Professor,

I've recently run a Multinomial Logit (MNL) model using my dataset. This initial model, without any interaction terms (just the base model), resulted in a disappointing model fit, with a Rho-square of less than 0.1. Even after increasing the sample size, there has been no improvement in this model.

1. Is it typical for the base model to show such a low Rho-square (especially lower than 0.1)?

2. Could you suggest any possible reasons for this outcome?

Moreover, I would appreciate any advice on how to enhance the model's fit.

Thank you in advance for your guidance.

Michel Bierlaire

May 9, 2024, 12:10:06 PMMay 9
to s.chon...@gmail.com, Michel Bierlaire, Biogeme

> On 9 May 2024, at 15:50, Suppharutchaya Chongutsah <s.chon...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Professor,
> I've recently run a Multinomial Logit (MNL) model using my dataset. This initial model, without any interaction terms (just the base model), resulted in a disappointing model fit, with a Rho-square of less than 0.1. Even after increasing the sample size, there has been no improvement in this model.
> 1. Is it typical for the base model to show such a low Rho-square (especially lower than 0.1)?

The value of rho square or rho-bar square are irrelevant. They can only be used to compare two models.
Therefore, the value that you report is not a problem.

By the way, did you calculate the null loglikelihood?
the_biogeme.calculateNullLoglikelihood(av)

If not, the rho square is calculated based on the initial log likelihood, not the null log likelihood.

> 2. Could you suggest any possible reasons for this outcome?
> Moreover, I would appreciate any advice on how to enhance the model's fit.
> Thank you in advance for your guidance.
>

> --

Michel Bierlaire
Transport and Mobility Laboratory
School of Architecture, Civil and Environmental Engineering
EPFL - Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne
http://transp-or.epfl.ch
http://people.epfl.ch/michel.bierlaire