A question about conditional logit model estimation in Biogeme

Karine Xu

Jan 12, 2023, 11:21:59 AM1/12/23
to Biogeme
Dear prof.Bierlaire,

I am estimating a conditional logit model which has not only the experimental attributes but also contains some social-demographic attributes of the decision-makers. My question is, does Biogeme require long-format or wide-format data in the conditional logit model estimation? Because I found the estimation results are different from the same model estimated in R mlogit, which makes me quite confused.

If you have any suggestions and examples of the model containing social-demographic attributes please let me know.

Kind regards,
Chenchen

Bierlaire Michel

Jan 13, 2023, 2:24:10 AM1/13/23
to xuchen...@gmail.com, Bierlaire Michel, Biogeme
Then, Biogeme is using the “wide” format: one row per observation.
And, yes, you can include sociio-economic characteristics and context variables.

On 12 Jan 2023, at 21:07, xuchen...@gmail.com wrote:

Dear prof. Bierlaire,

Many thanks for the quick reply!
Sorry I didn't explain it clear. Examples of the long- and wide-data formats are shown below. The long-format data contains information for all alternatives. The examples are from https://www.gla.ac.uk/media/Media_835341_smxx.pdf
<image.png>
<image.png>
I find many examples with Biogeme dealing with alternative-variant attributes, such as travel time and cost.  I want to consider the environmental attributes, such as the weather and the age of the decision-maker, which are not variant across the alternatives. I  would like to ask is there a way to take these attributes into the model in Biogeme please?

Thank you for your advice!

Kind regards,
Chenchen Xu

On Thu, 12 Jan 2023 at 17:27, Bierlaire Michel <michel.b...@epfl.ch> wrote:
I am not sure what you mean by "long" or “wide”. See section 1 of the primer: