Joint estimation of arrival rate and discrete choice parameter

Philipp Theile

Jul 11, 2024, 4:01:41 AM (12 days ago) Jul 11
to Biogeme
Dear Biogeme-Group,

I am using revealed preference data of EV-charging choices. As I only observe positive choices, I cannot distinguish no-purchases from no-arrivals. For a similar case, Newman et al. (2014) propose a model, that fits a Poisson-distribution to the arrival rate to distinguish no-arrivals from no-pruchases (see the attached text snippet). So, the discrete choice model estimates parameters of the discrete choice, the no-purchase alternative, and the arrival-rate distribution.

I wonder whether I can implement such a likelihood function with Biogeme's tool set, or whether I would have to write the estimation from scratch. Do you have an intuition about these kinds of models?

Kind regards
Philipp

Newman, Jeffrey P., et al. "Estimation of choice-based models using sales data from a single firm." Manufacturing & Service Operations Management 16.2 (2014): 184-197.

Screenshot 2024-07-10 114023.png

Michel Bierlaire

Jul 11, 2024, 7:13:47 AM (11 days ago) Jul 11
to theile...@gmail.com, Michel Bierlaire, Biogeme
You simply need to write the contribution to the loglikelihood function of each observation, which is Eq (5).
> --
> <Screenshot 2024-07-10 114023.png>

Michel Bierlaire
Transport and Mobility Laboratory
School of Architecture, Civil and Environmental Engineering
EPFL - Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne
http://transp-or.epfl.ch
http://people.epfl.ch/michel.bierlaire