Calculation of Fisher Information Matrix and/or Asymptotic Variance-Covariance Matrix

Rachel Murray-Watson

May 1, 2024, 10:10:02 AMMay 1
to Biogeme
Hi all,

I have just run a pilot study and want to ensure that the sample size for my main study is sufficient. According to many of the methods listed in this paper, I need to have a asymptotic variance-covariance matrix (or the Fisher's Information Matrix to calculate the AVC). Can anyone advise as to how to do this using the outputs from biogeme?

Paper: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4575371/#CR21

Best wishes,

Rachel

Michel Bierlaire

May 1, 2024, 10:21:55 AMMay 1
to r.mu...@gmail.com, Michel Bierlaire, Biogeme
Have a look at Appendix B of this document: https://transp-or.epfl.ch/documents/technicalReports/Bier23.pdf
> --

Michel Bierlaire
Transport and Mobility Laboratory
School of Architecture, Civil and Environmental Engineering
EPFL - Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne
http://transp-or.epfl.ch
http://people.epfl.ch/michel.bierlaire

Rachel Murray-Watson

May 1, 2024, 11:17:31 AMMay 1
to Biogeme
Ah great, thank you! So when it says "Biogeme reports statistics based on both the Cramer-Rao estimate (18) and the robust estimate", does that mean that results.getVarCovar() returns the AVC?

Michel Bierlaire

May 1, 2024, 11:19:26 AMMay 1
to r.mu...@gmail.com, Michel Bierlaire, Biogeme
results.getVarCovar --> Rao-Cramer
results.getRobustVarCovar --> the robust version