Numpy version incompatibility

ma...@indicatrix.org

Jul 15, 2024, 3:22:15 AM (8 days ago) Jul 15
to Biogeme
When I run `pip install biogeme numpy` I get biogeme 3.2.13 and numpy 2.0.0 (released 2024-06-14). It seems biogeme is not yet compatible with numpy 2, I got this error:

A module that was compiled using NumPy 1.x cannot be run in
NumPy 2.0.0 as it may crash. To support both 1.x and 2.x
versions of NumPy, modules must be compiled with NumPy 2.0.
Some module may need to rebuild instead e.g. with 'pybind11>=2.12'.

If you are a user of the module, the easiest solution will be to
downgrade to 'numpy<2' or try to upgrade the affected module.
We expect that some modules will need time to support NumPy 2.

Downgrading to numpy 1.26.4 (`pip install numpy==1.26.4`) solves the problem. I guess biogeme needs to be recompiled with numpy 2, but in the meantime perhaps the setup.cfg for biogeme should specify that it is only compatible with numpy 1 so that pip will automatically install numpy 1.x instead of 2 when biogeme is installed.

Thanks for the great software and keep up the good work!

Michel Bierlaire

Jul 15, 2024, 3:26:37 AM (8 days ago) Jul 15
to ma...@indicatrix.org, Michel Bierlaire, Biogeme
Yes, I am aware of this.
I am working on the new release that will be compatible with the new version of numpy.
Thank you for describing the solution.
> --

Michel Bierlaire
Transport and Mobility Laboratory
School of Architecture, Civil and Environmental Engineering
EPFL - Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne
http://transp-or.epfl.ch
http://people.epfl.ch/michel.bierlaire