running on linux??

Robert Flight

Sep 3, 2015, 4:27:56 PM9/3/15
to BioFabric-users
Is there any way to run Biofabric on Linux from the source?

I'm willing to compile the files in the github repo to make my own JAR if that's what I need to do, but I'm not familiar with how to do that, and some instructions would be nice.

Also, I'd like to note that the webstart did not work for me in Firefox on linux.

If I can't get this to work, maybe I'll try the new RhtmlWidget with RBiofabric.

Thanks,

-Robert

William Longabaugh

Sep 3, 2015, 4:45:11 PM9/3/15
to biofabr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert:

Sorry with your issues running BioFabric on Linux.

I think your problem trying to run it using Firefox on Linux is due to
you having anything but the most recent version of Java on your machine.
My desktop machine is Linux, and I use Firefox to launch it all the time
as my preferred method.

But here is the rub. On any other OS, when Oracle moves to a new version
of Java, Java Web Start is configured to pop up a window to tell you you
should upgrade. But after a bit of poking I discovered that this process
of popping up an upgrade window on Linux...crashes the Java Web Start
launcher. So for me, the day I suddenly can't launch a Java Web Start
app, I interpret it as the day I have to upgrade. It sucks, but that has
solved my problem.

If you want to run BioFabric locally on Linux, instead of compiling from
source, my suggestion is to just grab the jar file from the server, e.g.:

wget http://www.biofabric.org/sBioFabric-J15-V1.0.0-P.jar

Then you don't have to worry about compiling from source.

If these two options don't get you what you need, let me know and I will
see what I can do to provide more info.

Sorry also about the lack of jar-building instructions. My attempts to
get further funding to actively keep the ball rolling on this have been
stymied (so far).

Best wishes,

Bill

Robert Flight

Sep 4, 2015, 12:54:59 PM9/4/15
to BioFabric-users
Hi Bill,

Found the web start application, and finally got it to run. Very, very cool.

Bill Longabaugh

Sep 4, 2015, 1:02:23 PM9/4/15
to BioFabric-users
Excellent! If you have any questions, post here or email me.

Best wishes,

Bill