Upcoming Teen Classes

Maria Chavez

Nov 6, 2019, 11:50:21 PM11/6/19
Hi All,

We just posted 3 more Teens Teaching Teens classes, please help us spread the word!

11/9 @10am PCR and Gel Electrophoresis
https://www.meetup.com/BioCurious/events/266280380/

Ever wondered how 23andMe genotypes your DNA or how a genome is sequenced? Both of these processes are applications of PCR. Gel Electrophoresis used to be used for DNA sequencing and has caught countless criminals with DNA fingerprinting.

In this class, we will be using PCR to make many copies of a gene that jellyfish use to make themselves glow. We will then confirm our results by using gel electrophoresis.

11/10 @10am DNA Transformation and Protein Purification
https://www.meetup.com/BioCurious/events/266280479/

Do you or someone you know have diabetes and use insulin? Have you ever heard or tried the Impossible Burger? Ever wondered how Lance Armstrong was able to dope so well? All of these different things were made possible thanks to DNA Transformation and Protein Purification.

In this class, we will use DNA Transformation to make bacteria produce a protein that glows. We will then purify this protein from the bacteria and you will be able to take some home.

11/17 @10am Biology and Machine Learning
https://www.meetup.com/BioCurious/events/266280505/

Deep learning can beat humans at driving, playing games, and many other tasks. Soon, they will be able to diagnose disease better than humans.

In this class, we will learn how deep learning works and how it can help to be an impartial and consistent doctor. Each person will learn how to train a computer to classify chest and stomach X-rays.

Thanks!

Maria