Brewing experiments using engineered yeast

Patrik D'haeseleer

Aug 16, 2022, 9:38:28 PM8/16/22
to cclabs, biocurious
Hi all!

Omega Yeast sells commercial CRSIPR-engineered yeast strains for pro and home brewers. They have some strains engineered to knock out the FDC1 gene to reduce phenolic off flavors, and some to activate the IRC7 gene to release more thiol aroma compounds from hops.

We'd love to experiment with these yeast strains for our kombucha project, but I bet there's a bunch of you home brewers out there who would love to play with these as well.

Let me know if you have any interest in doing some beer (or wine!) brewing with these, or just join us today 7pm for our Kombucha Genomics meetup at https://www.meetup.com/counter-culture-labs/events/zddrrsydclbvb/

Also - does anyone know of other engineered yeast strains for the brewing community? I know The Odin was selling preengineered GFP yeast, but they seem to be out of stock right now.

If you are interested in helping us develop our safety protocols around consuming engineered or otherwise lab-derived strains, any help on that side would be very welcome as well!

Patrik