Bioinformatics Challenges

Jonathan Reyles

May 19, 2013, 5:06:57 AM5/19/13
to biocurious-bi...@googlegroups.com
Folks,

Paul Sebexen mentioned had a good suggestion during the maker faire. He suggested that we might want to consider doing challenges: http://challenge.gov/DTRA/468-the-dtra-algorithm-challenge.

In general, you can also find challenges here: http://www.innocentive.com and perhaps other websites. We should all consider digging into this. At the very least it can give us some inspiration, but it also gives us a data set that we can play around with. Feel free to select a challenge, pitch in a good proposal you feel excited about.

--
Regards,
Jon

Johan Sosa

May 19, 2013, 3:40:00 PM5/19/13
to Jonathan Reyles, biocurious-bi...@googlegroups.com

This one sounds interesting http://challenge.gov/DTRA/468-the-dtra-algorithm-challenge  Is anyone else interested or know something about the topic?

Patrik D'haeseleer

May 20, 2013, 3:24:53 AM5/20/13
to Johan Sosa, Jonathan Reyles, biocurious-bi...@googlegroups.com
Might be a good exercise; just don't expect to win anything. Note that this challenge has been running since January 3rd, and ends in 12 days. There are also dozens of professional research teams participating, including one from Livermore.

Essentially, this challenge was DTRA trying out a new (for them anyway) funding mechanism. I don't know of any other challenges of this nature though.

Patrik