Google App Engine

Jonathan Reyles

May 23, 2013, 6:07:52 PM5/23/13
to biocurious-bi...@googlegroups.com
Folks,

I basically ported the cas9 DNA target spacer oligo generator that Johan uploaded to the git repo into the Google Apps Engine.

Here's what it looks like:
http://bc-primer-des.appspot.com/

Just a basic web layout, but for example, if someone is a good with wireframing/UI, then that person could help out with that part. etc.

Just trying to brainstorm some ideas too for what to do w/ the community project.

--
Regards,
Jon

Jonathan Reyles

May 23, 2013, 6:43:49 PM5/23/13
to biocurious-bi...@googlegroups.com
(From Johan)
Awesome! Community project idea: Can we try to do some analysis of the DNA sequence of cas9 to see of we can identify the NGG DNA binding domain motif .. once we identify that, it might allow us to make SNPs that will allow us to disable the NGG adjacent motif requirement (or at least change it to something else like NAT or NNN). It would be a big deal if we pull that off. We know it has the RuvC and HNH motifs for cutting the DNA strand, so a initial project may be to go over how those motifs were identified?

-Johan
------ I'm starting to like this idea. I think we can go with it for now unless there's any objection. Let me post the paper for people to read. Please see attached paper.

Oh and no luck with ubiome for getting significantly cheaper gut sampling costs. 10% off was their offering for bulk, but I might be able to get it down a bit lower, but not by much (15%-20% off). Is $80.10 (after 10% off) too much for people? Their bioinformatics part is already set, so we couldn't provide a service for them to get free/cheap sets.

-Jon
nbt.2357.pdf

Johan Sosa

May 25, 2013, 10:21:52 PM5/25/13
to Jonathan Reyles, biocurious-bi...@googlegroups.com
Here are some more links about CRISPR based genetic engineering.:

1. Basic info/introduction to CRISPR system based genetic engineering: http://www.biotechniques.com/news/Easier-Safer-Genome-Editing/biotechniques-338758.html

4. Good site for resources on CRISPR: http://crispr.genome-engineering.org/

-Johan

Jonathan Reyles

May 26, 2013, 4:33:40 PM5/26/13
to Johan Sosa, biocurious-bi...@googlegroups.com
If anyone can't make it today formally, all we're going to do is read the links that Johan kindly sent here.

For those of you that are still on the Rosalind modules, keep it up. :-)

Cheers,
Jon