Won't be at the meeting today & a couple of deadlines/news

Jonathan Reyles

May 5, 2013, 4:14:29 PM5/5/13
to biocurious-bi...@googlegroups.com
Greetings Biocurians,

Will not be able to make it, so could someone please take down the notes and keep it going?

Based on the survey responses and just from general conversation, there is a need for a basic Bioinformatics course here separate from our Sunday meetings. I'm going to start a Doodle poll very shortly on when people want to meet up for a Basic Bioinformatics course. I'm busy for the next 2-3 weeks, but I'm going to dedicate some of my time to getting through to adding this module.

Anyways here's two main points of discussion:
(1) Let's get the whole draft finished and proofread by 11:59 PM tonight. This is information that will go on the Biocurious.org website and the Maker Faire. We'll forward it to the website manager.

(2) Bioinformatics Basics Course: I know people have been anticipating on going through the Coursera class, but it's still TBD, and it could be later rather than sooner. To be honest though, I think this is a critical part that shouldn't be ever waited on. It might be better to have it on a separate date, like say on a Saturday (But I think a weekday is better).

I really want to, but I realize that we just can't cover all the basics of Bioinformatics in one Sunday meeting, it's more economical to spend that time on incubating and building things.

So what I was thinking was perhaps, preparing curriculum ourselves. Who would like to help me out with this? I could start off with a basic layout, but would appreciate some feedback.

--
Regards,
Jon