On Farm Energy Production and Biochar Production for Woody Agricultural Wastes

Jun 19, 2018, 2:39:09 AM6/19/18
to Biochar
Hi there-
I'm exploring different options for on-farm energy production and biochar production looking at woody wastes (predominately almond and pistachio shells).  Small to medium sized systems---

Who are the leading companies in this space?

Thanks!

~B

henry buehler

Jun 19, 2018, 2:55:32 PM6/19/18
to bio...@googlegroups.com
I made the mistake of buying an all power labs power pallet , grid tie power pallet ,  version 4 gasifier .  20 Kw . unusable . still trying to get working through inverter  with 8 Kw output .
Arrived sealed in tar . Throttle body , Governor constantly failing , grate shaker failed , air preheat  corrugated tubing burnt through . air fuel system failed . fuel auger system failed .
Did workaround of all . Still have contact with support . Did receive free replacement of fuel switch . Was also advised of change of gas filter from wood chips and foam filter to layered charcoal filter .
Would advise getting some kind of , heat engine , sterling engine , organic cycle turbine .

Nando Breiter

Jun 19, 2018, 3:16:17 PM6/19/18
to bio...@googlegroups.com
Henry,

When you say it arrived sealed in tar, do you mean it was previously used and there was wood tar condensed within it?

From everything I’ve heard and seen, I would not attempt to run an internal combustion engine on wood gas unless it was cracked and filtered, or perhaps unless the engine was rebuilt especially to handle the tars.

Cyclone Power has a rotary steam engine that will work very well with exhaust heat to power a generator. I think the best solution for small scale is to flare the gases and tars directly and guide them past the heat exchanger on an engine like Cyclone Power’s. Issues with tars are very common. Best avoid them in the design of the unit.

Nando

CarbonZero

Gordon West

Jun 19, 2018, 4:47:36 PM6/19/18
to bio...@googlegroups.com
Hi B,

The Trollworks has developed systems specifically designed for such an application. One of our primary feedstocks is pecan shells.

Gordon West
The Trollworks

An entrepreneur sees problems as the seeds of opportunity.

henry buehler

Jun 19, 2018, 4:47:36 PM6/19/18
to bio...@googlegroups.com
Utility company would not allow interconnection of this unit . Allpower labs would not answer questions from installer about unit . All power labs would not understand That I did not have three phase power .
power pallet connected to battery charger . charger connected to battery . battery connected to inverter  . inverter connected to grid .

Power pallet arrived with walnut shells inside . flapper on air intake was tared shut as was throttle . Filter was empty , hopper was empty unattached .

I was not referring to steam engine , Steam engine would be an option . organic cycle turbine

Organic Rankine cycle

  is very expensive . and extremely reliable https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_Rankine_cycle . I was thinking about a closed system like an   absorption cycle refrigerator

kasparbauer

Jun 20, 2018, 5:36:28 PM6/20/18
to Biochar
Terra Char has claimed a few systems in place at a few locations in the Midwest.

There are a lot of others. My recommendation is to go see something working for a period of time in a situation similar to yours to gain confidence in what you are getting into.

-Randy

Nando Breiter

Jun 20, 2018, 5:47:18 PM6/20/18
to bio...@googlegroups.com
Randy,

I've looked on the Terra Char website just now but could not find any information on their pyrolysis design, capacity, etc. Do you have a link or know something about their system?

CarbonZero
Via Carà 6
6999 Astano
Switzerland

+41 (0)76 303 4477 cell
skype: ariamedia

kasparbauer

henry buehler

henry buehler

Jun 21, 2018, 4:24:48 AM6/21/18
to bio...@googlegroups.com
soil is the substance that supports plants while you apply nutrients to them

henry buehler

Jun 25, 2018, 11:01:39 AM6/25/18
to bio...@googlegroups.com