Can Trichoderma be corporate into biochar?

Thằng Bờm

Mar 31, 2015, 11:23:25 AM3/31/15
to bio...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I am a newbie to Biochar product (as well as this group). Biochar itself is also new in my country - Vietnam. However, since I am working on Trichoderma (micro-organism), I would like to corporate Trichoderma into Biochar, since biochar itself has enormous amount of micro-pores. The question is can this be done, and is there any guide or application on doing so? Thank you.

Bom

Ronal W. Larson

Mar 31, 2015, 11:51:09 AM3/31/15
to bio...@googlegroups.com, than...@gmail.com
Bom cc list

1.  I suggest using the website www.biochar-international.org/biblio.   The word “Trichoderma” gave one hit.  The word “fungus” gave more.  We hear a lot (and I’d like to hear more) about the positive impact of biochar in promoting fungal growth.

2. Can you explain more on why you are asking?
3.  You will find a number of biochar producers in Vietnam.

Ron

John Hatch

Apr 1, 2015, 2:58:59 AM4/1/15
to bio...@googlegroups.com
I found a number of studies that stated that biochar incorporated into the soil helps tricoderma thrive there, but no specific mention of using biochar to incorporate or introduce trichoderma. If I were going to try to inoculate biochar with trichoderma, I think it would be as part of a more complex carrier.Here's a link to a few pages from "Biochar For Environmental Management" on Google books.
https://books.google.com/books?id=gWDABgAAQBAJ&pg=PA373&lpg=PA373&dq=trichoderma+biochar&source=bl&ots=tXUsDPLVjX&sig=mEPju9rWxUhnaFk9cAqJJwZZewA&hl=en&sa=X&ei=O8saVY-ED9KzogSmqIH4DQ&ved=0CFMQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=trichoderma%20biochar&f=false
Notice the Plant Growth Promoting (PGP) bacteria that are also enhanced by the presence of biochar. Of course you can't tell from this study whether growth is enhaced or competition is curtailed, but I might try growing bacteria and fungi in a nuitriant slurry containing biochar and see what happens. When you are trying to figure out new stuff, you have to plan an making a lot of mistakes and documenting them as well as possible. Hope this helps.

Thằng Bờm

Apr 1, 2015, 4:21:34 AM4/1/15
to Ronal W. Larson, bio...@googlegroups.com
Hi Larson,

Thanks for the information. The reason that I am asking for this possibility, is to use Biochar as a carrier for fertilizer containing antagonism micro-organisms, since Trichoderma likes very much cellulose, and other carrier that I was in touched to are made primarily by cellulose.

Where do you find Biochar producers in Vietnam, and are their Biochar well characterized? I live in the South of the country, and have known Long An province (done by Ecofarm, from corn cob) has it, but still experimenting it

Bom

patriciaga...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2016, 3:58:17 AM1/23/16
to Biochar, rongre...@comcast.net
Hi Bom,

The International Biochar Initiative (www.biochar-international.org) has a list of biochar manufacturers. The IBI has developed standards to help characterize the biochars. However, only a few manufacturers have gone through the certifying process.  Most manufacturers have web sites that can give you further information. By the way, you might be interested in the book Mycelium Running by Paul Stamets, about fungi and soil enhancement.

Patricia

Edward Someus

Jan 24, 2016, 3:45:44 PM1/24/16
to Biochar
Trichoderma fungus incorporation to biochar is a fully developed technology and Authority permitted product case in the EU since 2005. Many other microbiological substances have also been successfully lab and field tested during my +30 years in biochar advanced science and technology development. It is important to highlight that commercial application of both the blank biochar and/or micro-biologically incorporated require mandatory Authority permits in the EU, also extended producer responsibility certificate.

www.3Ragrocarbon.com, www.refertil.info  Edward Someus