Safety measures of Biochar production facilities

Ghassan I. Kidess

Jan 17, 2017, 5:28:33 PM1/17/17
to Biochar
Hello
Does the Biochar manufacturing process emit gazes? and is their any fire hazard associated with the manufacturing process? if yes, then how can this be managed?
As a safety measure is it required to setup the manufacturing plant in an open area and not indoor?

Nando

Jan 17, 2017, 5:35:28 PM1/17/17
to Biochar

On Tuesday, January 17, 2017 at 11:28:33 PM UTC+1, Ghassan I. Kidess wrote:
Hello
Does the Biochar manufacturing process emit gazes?

Simple answer: yes.

and is their any fire hazard associated with the manufacturing process?

Yes. The gases are flammable.

if yes, then how can this be managed?

With proper engineering. The larger the biochar production process, the more care should be taken to ensure it meets all safety standards.

As a safety measure is it required to setup the manufacturing plant in an open area and not indoor?

Covered with a non-flammable roof but well ventilated would be my response.  A smaller batch kiln that is operated occasionally would not need to be covered - but it is difficult to operate such a kiln in the rain, of course.