Fwd: York-Simcoe By-Election candidates call for federal funding to reduce Lake Simcoe’s phosphorus pollution

1 view

Lloyd Helferty

Jan 25, 2019, 3:30:13 PM1/25/19
to RNUPP (Google group), Douglas Jack, Biochar-Ontario, Biochar-R...@yahoogroups.ca, CoSWoG - googlegroup, Brad Bass (EC), Ja...@lakesimcoewatch.ca, Jack SoRelle, Charlene Day (DDTO), John Bacher

Dear RNUPP | Beaver Project team, (including Douglas Jack, Brad Bass @ EC)

 Perhaps we should consider moving our "Beaver Project" a little bit North of Markham and the Rouge National Urban Park (RNUP)?

  We could perhaps focus on implementing a project for the demonstration of a "3-D Polyculture / Permaculture forest" (with biochar-based soil remediation and other P-reduction systems / solutions) that will be able to help reduce Lake Simcoe’s phosphorus pollution.**

** Climate change and galloping urbanization bring along a major corollary issue: water scarcity and quality. By 2025, 2/3 of the world population will face water related problems and 1.8 billion will live in conditions of absolute water stress. And with the demographic explosion, 70% of the 10 billion world population will live in cities by 2050. The problem appears crystal clear: water catchments are not in cities but in rural areas.
     - The Water-Soil-Carbon Nexus: Why Water Preservation Needs A Healthy Soil

 It seems (see below) that ALL of the Political parties (locally in the York-Simcoe Riding) support "federal funding to reduce Lake Simcoe’s phosphorus pollution".

 I would like to propose some sort of "Water Smart" and "Climate Smart" [landscape restoration] Demo project for Simcoe County.

 CC also:

Jack Gibbons, Chair, Lake Simcoe Watch

and:

 Jack Sorelle, who told me today about the "Lake Erie Bill of Rights" that is on the ballot for Feb. 26. where he is (in Toledo, Ohio)... which is leading to very significant [political] support for action on "Cleaning up Lake Erie" as well.

 Also, the timing might be right because just two days ago we had a BIG win when Ontario's Minister of Municipal Affairs, Steve Clark, announced that the Government of Ontario has decided to withdraw its proposal to allow developers to carve up the Greenbelt and the Oak Ridges Moraine and pollute Lake Simcoe (via Bill 66’s Schedule 10, which would have permitted municipal governments to pass "special bylaws" exempting new developments from the environmental protection rules in the Lake Simcoe Protection Act, the Greenbelt Act, the Clean Water Act, the Oak Ridges Moraine Conservation Act and the Great Lakes Protection Act).

CC: Biochar-Ontario, Biochar-Remediation, CoSWoG, Charlene Day (DDTO), John Bacher, Preservation of Agricultural Lands Society. Author of Two Billion Trees and Counting.

P.S. I learned recently that Lake Simcoe used to be known as "Lac Toronto", as seen in a French map from the very early 1500's.

One of my colleagues from the Indigenous networks pointed this out to me, saying that "for me, this is the kind of misrepresentation that continues to create misinformation and stereotype,"... "To give this proper insight we need to understand first off that for nine thousand years the Wendat have lived here and the word Tkaronto originates from a word meaning Fishing Weir or Where Sticks Stand in the Water or Meeting Place."

Regards,

Lloyd Helferty, Engineering Technologist
Principal, Biochar Consulting (Canada)
System Leader and Sector Expert for the "Climate Smart" Platform
  & Project Development Director
Energime University
  http://energimeuniversity.org/
  A member of The Energime Family of Companies
  "Education, training, knowledge and empowerment for responsible environmental management and resource sustainability."
  Not-for-profit Tax Exempt Status: 501(3C) DLN 17053330310044
  lloydh...@energime.com
  48 Suncrest Blvd, Thornhill, ON, Canada
  905-707-8754
  Skype: lloyd.helferty
--
Executive Director
Resilient World Institute (RWI)
http://rwinstitute.ca/
5 Shields Court, Suite 108
Markham, Ontario, L3R 0G3
cell: 647-886-8754
--
 Co-founder, CSF Consulting Group
  and Science for Peace (SfP) CoSWoG Climate Smart Food sub-Working Group (CSFWG)
  www.facebook.com/groups/climatesmartfood/
--
 Founder, "Future Farming" group
  http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Future-Farming-4815612
--
 Chair, Community Sustainability (CoSWoG), A working group of Science for Peace
  https://www.linkedin.com/groups/8413199
  https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/coswog
--
 Core Group team member, Drawdown Toronto & Richmond Hill
  http://www.unifytoronto.ca/dialogues.html
--
 Founder, Energime-Global Cooperation Day Turtle Island
  https://www.facebook.com/groups/EGCDTI/
--
 President, Co-founder & CBI Liaison, Biochar-Ontario
  http://groups.google.com/group/biochar-ontario
  https://www.linkedin.com/groups/3329950
--
 Manager, Biochar Offsets Group:
  http://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=2446475
--
 Advisory Committee Member, International Biochar Initiative (IBI)
  www.biochar-international.org

"The best way to predict the future is to create it."​ - Willy Brandt