Fwd: Hawaii Biochar Products Newsletter

josiah hunt

Apr 25, 2011, 12:55:05 AM4/25/11
to biochar hawaii group
Hello Biochar Group,

Below is the first newsletter from our new business title.

Aloha,

- Josiah Hunt

Begin forwarded message:

From: "J. Hunt - Hawaii Biochar" <jh...@hawaiibiocharproducts.com>
Date: April 24, 2011 7:56:51 AM HST
Subject: Hawaii Biochar Products Newsletter

    Is this email not displaying correctly?     View it in your browser.
Newsletter header
Newsletter #1 --- April 2011

Landscape Ecology is now Hawaii Biochar Products LLC
The new name better expresses the focus of our business; the development, production and marketing of biochar and related products. We take pride in providing sustainable agricultural inputs from and for the state of Hawaii.

Biochar in Hawaii, a Perfect Match
Hawaii has an exceptional climate, a sizeable population, and a lot of weathered clay soils. Although nearly 90% of our food is imported local agriculture is on the rise, and biochar is proving to be a valuable asset in revitalizing our soils.

Over the past few years and hundreds of clients we have seen significant positive effect from biochar in a wide variety of agricultural systems. Hawaii is on the path to self-sufficiency and we are glad to offer our contribution.

Our New Website is Launched
Check out our new website www.hawaiibiocharproducts.com! Lots of information about biochar - products, pictures, news, and events. www.hawaiibiocharproducts.com

New Product --- "CharFish"
Using locally produced Fish Bone Meal as a base we have developed a general-purpose fertilizer with a balanced N-P-K of about 8-6-6, and a broad spectrum of micronutrients, and extended release. All components are approved for use in organic farming.

Fish Bone Meal alone can be an impressive fertilizer, but to take it to the next level we have added: Biochar, to improve the efficiency of the fertilizer and the soils it is added to. Sulfate of Potash, for a balanced N-P-K. Powdered basalt (blue rock), for minerals and soil building. Molasses, for texture, smell, micronutrients and soil life.

We are still developing the finer details of the product such as bagging/labeling and texture. But, it is available direct from us at a demo price of $.50 per pound. Call for availability and deliveries.

HBP Makes the News
Josiah is featured in the November/December issues of "Organic Gardening" and "Soil and Mulch Producer News"

Organic Gardening header
Mulch headerWell, it may not be the cover of "Time" or "Fortune".. Wait 'til next year.

New Biochar Retort Construction Progresses
Last summer we received a grant from USDA and Big Island Resource Conservation and Development that covered some of the costs to build a biochar retort. The system is designed take about 10 cubic yards of scrap wood or other biomass to produce a high quality biochar. The hot off-gas will be condensed and the crude bio oil recovered.

retort end blower
Retort end still open           Blower and firebox
The project is bigger than initially estimated, but progress is steady. Hoping to light it off for the first time in early April.

Killer Tomatoes
Alex Karp of Island Harvest Organics and Roy Honda of Roy Honda Farms both gave biochar a try in their greenhouse operation growing tomatoes and peppers.

without biochar  with biocharWithout biochar                     With biochar

Alex Karp - owner

"Hi Josiah,
I just wanted to let you know that I have been getting some very good results using your biochar. The tomato and bell pepper plants that received the biochar grew much quicker than the plants that did not receive any biochar. Also the yields were higher with the plants that got the biochar. Thank you so much. - Alex Karp"

without biochar  with biocharRoy                           Roy's tomatoes

"I have see more vigorous growth, less disease and greater yield since adding biochar to the potting media. - Roy Honda"

To unsubscribe from future newsletters click here

Christian Filipina

Apr 25, 2011, 2:28:33 AM4/25/11
to biochar...@googlegroups.com
Hi, We can order $100 of your fishchar for a trial.  Is it convenient for you to drop off at our place in Honomu?
Thanks,
Peter