factoring out some modules

Ashish Agarwal

Aug 5, 2013, 5:41:18 PM8/5/13
to Biocaml
Hi Biocaml List,

Now that opam lets us install many libraries very easily, we were thinking of factoring out some code in Biocaml that isn't specific to biology. Specifically, we were thinking of making separate libraries for the Stream module and another for the Transform module. We'll also rename them to something random, so as to not pollute the global namespace of OCaml packages with overly generic names like "stream" and "transform". Any thoughts on this? If not, we'll go ahead and do it and provide opam packages for everything.

At some point later, possibly after namespaces are implemented in OCaml, we can consider breaking the library further.

-Ashish

Nicholas Lucaroni

Aug 6, 2013, 12:29:43 PM8/6/13
to bio...@googlegroups.com
I was thinking about this as well regarding POY and building packages from that. At least during development I am going to have an additional opam-repo for those packages[1] until some stability happens with the project. I'd be interested in what a canonical solution is as well.

-Nicholas

[1] : as in, https://github.com/xapi-project/opam-repo-dev, https://github.com/raphael-proust/opam-repo, ....

Aug 6, 2013, 2:00:08 PM8/6/13
to bio...@googlegroups.com
Yes, we're thinking of creating separate opam repos too. It might make sense to have one for biocaml if we end up with several packages. Also, we'll create one for our work related packages. We'll give highest priority to our work repo and the biocaml repo, and lower priority to the ocamlpro repo. Then, we can rapidly develop our own packages, and push to ocamlpro only when packages stabilize.

Philippe Veber

Aug 7, 2013, 5:16:00 PM8/7/13
to Biocaml
Hi Ashish,

This is fine with me, and as said on another channel, I can take stream packaging in charge.

cheers,
ph.

2013/8/5 Ashish Agarwal <agarw...@gmail.com>

-Ashish